46. the girl who grew sunflowers.

Start from the beginning

After Olive makes us take thousands of pictures we gather in our cars to head to the Clemens residents. Opal picks up her graduation gown from the back seat of my car, taking it to her room to hang it up. I close the door to her room and fall onto her bed, staring at the blank ceiling above us. "Everything okay Koa?"

"Yeah." I breathe out.

She tosses her sweater on me. Her cheeks flush pink, her big gorgeous green eyes gaze lovingly back into mine. This girl, She's the one that pulled me out of troubled water when I was drowning.

Reaching for her hand I pull her on top of me. She giggles into my chest. "BOOP!" She gently presses her finger to my nose.

"You're a weird one." I state bluntly.

She grins, curling my hair around her finger. "That I am Mr.Whiley."

Wrapping my arms around her shoulders I snuggle into her neck. She always smells like oranges and jasmine. I breathe in her warm, known scent and smile. Damn. I got really lucky to get Opal Clemens. "May I cut your hair later?" She questions, dragging her finger down the bridge of my nose.

"Sure."

Her mossy eyes light up, "Wait-really?"

I nod my head, grinning. "Well yeah. I trust you."

"Even with cutting your hair?"

I nod, "It's just hair, it'll grow back. Besides you've said your great grandma taught you how to cut hair."

She rubs my lips with her finger tips. "Oh yeah, I forgot I told you that."

The door swings open, banging against the wall. Polli flys through the air, landing on Opal and I. "Ow." Opal mumbles. Polli lays on her sisters back, making me squished. "What are you doing Polli?" Opal asks.

"I'm BORED!" She exasperates.

"Like we don't bore you?" I inquire.

"Well yeah you do. But I'm going to be bored in here since you two are boring." She explains, like it made sense.

I raise my eyebrows, "Huh?"

"I said I'm BORED!" She clarifies, like I didn't hear her before.

I rake my hair out of my eyes, "I UNDERSTAND."

Opal rolls Polli off of her back. "So your just going to leave poor Randy alone with our family?"

"Well Princeton, Knox, Wilson, Eileen, and Nina are down stairs too." She tells us, talking with her hands. She tosses her braided hair over her shoulder. "He's been one of us for a long time. He's practically one of their kids. He'll make do."

"Hey, your family rocks!" I exclaim.

They're eyes stare at me before glancing at each other and giggling. Opal trails her fingers down my back. "They do rock!"

"You guys are such dweebs."

"I love your family." I admit.

Polli pats my knee, "I know. They love you too, Koa."

O P A L

Koa smiles to himself, his cheeks turning rosy. "They do?"

I nudge his arm, "Of course they do. They love you like your one of their own."

Polli bobs her head. "She's right Koa."

"They talk about you often."

Polli fiddles with the end of Opals dress, brushing her fingers against the silk. "Uh huh. They say how they wished you two would just get married already and how they're happy Opal ended up with you."

His blue eyes crinkle as he blushes, hiding behind his hands. "Really?"

Polli nods her head. "Yes Koa, really. I bet dinners about done, Salmon cooks fairly quick."

Hopping of my bed we head down stairs. I trip over nothing and land on the floor. I feel Koas' hands wrap around my waist, pulling me back up. "Are you okay?"

I brush my messy hair out of my eyes and take a deep breath. "I'm good!"

He chuckles, taking my hand into his. "Alright good." He leads us out to the back patio. The solar twinkle lights light up our path to the tables. Mom grabs plates and helps dad dish up everybody's food, placing each plate in front of a seat. Knox waves Wilson to the seat next to him.

Koa grabs a chair, gesturing for me to sit in it. As I take a seat he pushes the chair in for me. "Thank you kind sir."

"You are very welcome madam." He grins, taking a seat next to me.

He fidgets with the bracelet I made him for his birthday, feeling the dotted beads. He slowly drags his finger tips along them, like he's trying to memorize it. His lips move saying "you are worthy." silently to himself.

Grabbing his hand I bring his arm onto my lap. "I love you Koa."

He smiles widely. "I love you too."

"Can we go on a picnic sometime soon?"

His blue eyes wander into mine. "Of course."

"I thought it would be nice to do before it gets to hot." I explain, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"You're right. It would be nice, I remember how you've always loved picnics."

Corey helps his pregnant fiancé into her chair. "We better get married before you pop."

"Relax, I have a little over a month before our baby arrives." She playfully hits his muscular chest.

"You say that Marci, but all four of you were born premature." Mom blurts, dishing up herself homemade fruit salad.

She rubs her belly and chuckles softly. "I know mom, you've mentioned that."

"Opal was born around the month you are." Dad tells her, grabbing Olives hand. "Shall we say grace?"

Koa raises his finger, "May I do it?"

Everybody turns to Koa, almost shocked that he asked. Dad scratches his ear and gives him a kind genuine smile. "Go for it!"

As Koa finished saying grace I look to my mom who's balling her eyes out. Crying hysterically into her hands. Marci sniffles quietly, and even Polli got teary eyed, and it's hard to get Polli to even shed a tear.

Leelan rubs his eyes. "Wow Koa. That was really beautiful."

-
There's only TWO more chapters left! I can't believe it. It's so sad, I don't want this story to end, lol. Last chance to comment what you want to see happen before it's to late.

P.S. What chapter/scene has been the most memorable to you?