what lies ahead part 1

for the next few days the group traveled towards fort benning, they believed that it would be safer there, that there might be some hope for something better.

marcella tried to be as helpful as possible towards the group, taking care of the kids when their parents needed a brake, carrying gas canisters and other equipment for the group and defending them from walkers.

the brunette who still wore her lab coat for warmth, mainly took watch when they stopped to fill up on supplies, as rick had told her that she was a good shot and that that was an important skill.

rick, lori, carol and dale had made the girl feel welcome, but none of them more than glenn. the two just got on so well and he made her feel a little less lonely.

***
"hey." glenn put a shoulder on marcella as she was clearly deep in thought. "you okay?"

"what?" she broke away from her daydreams. "yeah-yeah i'm good." she tried her best to make her smile look real but glenn saw right through it.

"no your not. what's wrong?" the two were sat at the back of dale's campervan as he drove in the front, andrea and shane in the middle section.

"i just wonder if there was anyway to stop it you know? the walkers i mean. like could i have done more to help jenner?" marcella made eye contact with glenn, exploring his eyes for the answers. and glenn seemed to get lost in marcella's eyes, but he wasn't searching them, he was just lost.

"glenn?"

"huh? oh er... sorry." glenn stuttered.

"it doesn't matter." marcella muttered back as she dropped her head into her hands.

"you did more than anyone marcella." glenn began after a moment of silence, the woman looked up to him, intrigued by his words. "you stayed."

"jenner stayed."

"jenner lost hope, but you didn't. even after the cdc, your still here, your still trying." glenn had both of his hands on marcella's shoulders now, trying to get his message through to her. although unintentionally he had made the two very close to eachother.

coughing, glenn pulled away awkwardly when he realised their closeness.

"thankyou glenn, i mean it."