part 11

"those doors are designed to withstand a rocket launcher." jenner stated as daryl approached him with his axe in hand.

"well your head ain't." daryl swung for jenner, only to be knocked down by rick and shane.

marcella decided not to intrude as jenner and the group conversed, jenner trying to convince them this was the best option for them.

instead the young scientist jogged over to the control panels to try and figure out how it all worked, although there was no luck as it was way too confusing. none of the buttons or levers were left with labels meaning marcella had to find a manual. of course the girl began looking for one.

***
"open that door, or i'm gonna blow your head off. do you hear me?" shane now had a gun to jenner's head, this taking doctor carter's notice.

after rick and lori tried to convince shane to not shoot jenner, he began to take shots at the computers instead. marcella ducked down quickly, luckily not being shot by any of shane's mindless firing.

***

"you chose the hard path, why?" rick questioned after a while longer.

"it doesn't matter." jenner blew him off.

"it does matter. it always matters. you two stayed, whilst others ran. why?" rick pressed the questio, this time including carter who rejoined the group after no success of finding out how to get the doors open.

"not because I wanted to. I made a promise to her-my wife." pointing at the picture of candace, jenner spoke up.

"text subject 19 was your wife?"

"she begged me to keeping going as long as i could. how could i say no? she was dying. it should of been me on that table. that wouldn't of mattered to anybody she was a loss to the world. how will she run this place I just worked here. in our field she was an Einstein. me? I am I'm just edwin jenner. she could've done something about this not me." jenner continued, bringing back memories for not just himself but for marcella too.

"your wife didn't have a choice. you do. you both do, that's all we want." rick attempted to convince the two doctors although marcella was already ready to leave.

"a chance." marcella finished, locking eyes with rick for a second to show him that she was with him.