Chapter 24: Margaritaville Gossip

Start from the beginning

"Are you alright? I am aware you drink a great deal but... this is different." Ellie tried her best to not be rude while she continued to fidget with her hands on the table.

Gloria finished her margarita in record time. She looked up at Ellie. "Never fucking better." She said bitterly.

Ellie didn't pick up on the tone. "That is lovely to hear." She smiled, attempting to hide her own emotions. She had no idea whether she was doing a good job or not but knowing Ellie, she probably wasn't because facial expressions weren't her thing.

Gloria slid her now empty glass over to the other glasses on the other table that bordered theirs. "No, that was sarcasm. I'm feeling like shit."

"Oh..." Man, she felt like an idiot. "Do you mind if I ask what is wrong?"

She sighed and crossed her arms on top of the table. "Gyro and I broke up yesterday."

"WHAT?!" She covered her mouth immediately, hoping she didn't disturb the other people in the restaurant or catch anyone's attention. She thankfully didn't. "What?" She whispered.

"Yeah we got into this huge fight when we were at the beach." Gloria was starting to get a bit aggravated that she didn't have another margarita to help her get through this story. "Basically he was talking about wanting to get married and I wasn't so sure and well... I said some things that I probably shouldn't have and things that I didn't even mean! But at that point it was too late. God I really fucked it all up, Ellie."

To say Ellie was surprised was a major understatement. Yes, she was aware Gloria and Gyro had gotten into fights with one another before, but compared to how many fights her and Mark had gotten in, it was a short comparison. She sighed in response to that. "It happens to the best of us, I suppose. I am sure you and Gyro will work it out if Mark and I managed."

The ironic part was, Ellie doubted her and Mark actually had worked it out. He hadn't spoken to her all morning. But her words were true; she believed Gloria would work it out with Gyro. Gyro was a genuinely good guy and Ellie wouldn't be surprised if he was the one to apologize first. But she couldn't be sure when she didn't have all the details.

Gloria shook her head sadly. "No, I don't think it will work out this time, Ellie. It was pretty bad. I want it to work out but he was the one who broke up with me so..." she trailed off.

"I apologize if this is too personal, if so you can just tell me, but what ever happened?"

It took her a minute to collect all of her thoughts about what happened yesterday. Gloria sighed again. "So he was talking about getting married sometime in the future and I got a little freaked out by it. I told him that I didn't think it would be a good idea because I always traveled around and never stayed in one spot. Well, I worded that very poorly and it became this downward spiral. He believed that I thought our relationship was only temporary and I would just bail. But that's not true! It's not like I want to leave, I just..." Gloria trailed off before finding her words again. " I dunno, I have always been moving around so the idea of being in a permanent place with one person forever. It just scares me." She paused for a moment before continuing. "So yeah. He went ahead and broke things off. I can't blame him for being mad at me. What I said was pretty shitty, despite me not meaning any of it." At this point Gloria would be crying but she was too emotionally exhausted and tired to cry again.

Ellie delayed responding. She was never the one to comfort people; it had always been the way around. Man. That was pretty sad. "My response is not very good or comforting, but all I can conjure up to say is I am sorry, Gloria. I may have not been there during the argument but I know Gyro's demeanor well enough to say it is 'eating him up', that is a saying, correct?" Ellie waved that off. Now was not the time to ask that. "Nevermind. It is 'eating him up' just as it is you and he is thinking deeply about it. When organ- people are upset they do not think clearly." Ellie was saying that like she always thought clearly. Hypocritical. "You have a high enough IQ to know that. I know you do not believe it will get better but once Gyro calms down he will most likely re-evaluate the situation and perhaps understand you did not mean what you said or the way you compelled it to come off. You just have to wait until that point. Perhaps you can attempt to clear things up with him yourself in a few days if he does not approach first; yet I believe he will."