52. The last war

"How is he?" asks the King.

The doctor has finished checking up his son. He shakes his head.

He comments, "He lost too many blood. He might get infection from his wound. About his hand. There is nothing I could do..."

"Just keep him alive. I don't care for anything else. He is still my son."

The little prince has lost his right arm, just below the elbow.

Another doctor has walked out from the study room. He has finished his check up on the Queen.

Yoon-gi asks, "My Queen...is she..."

"The mother and her baby are in good condition, Your Majesty."

"What baby? You mean..."

"Yes. The Queen is pregnant. About one month old."

Yoon-gi closes his eyes. Irene said she has a special birthday gift for him. She's pregnant.

He opens his eyes.

He orders, "Please look after them well. Both of you."

The King walks out of the Queen Palace. Corpses of the fallen bodyguards and maids have been removed. Hyungsik's dead body is no longer there. Only his sword remains on spot.

He picks it up from the ground.

Yoon-gi stares the night sky. It's dark tonight like the darkness in his heart.

He vows, "Hyungsik. I swear. I will kill that King with your blade. He shall be dead with my own hands."

"Your Majesty. It's cold outside. Please enter the palace again."

"Nam Joon, you are injured too. You should rest."

"How could I rest if my King hasn't gone to sleep?"

Yoon-gi sighs.

He laments, "I failed them. Hyungsik, Irene and my son. If only I listened to you..."

Nam Joon is silent.

Yoon-gi says, "I will rest now. Please rest too."

"Good night, Your Majesty."

Yoon-gi lies down to sleep next to his Queen. He kisses her head before he sleeps.

He whispers, "I'm sorry. I should be the one who got hurt. Not you. Not our son. Not..."

He closes his eyes. Tears fall down from his eyes again. His best friend has gone from this world. If only he had listened to what others have said.

Irene finally wakes up in mid morning. Her husband stares her worriedly.

He asks, "Are you okay?"

She touches her belly out of instincts.

Yoon-gi says, "The baby is fine. Our son has passed the critical condition too."

"How is he?"

"He lost his right arm. At least he is still alive."

"No...I must see him..."

Yoon-gi lifts her up because she looks very pale. He carries her to see their son. He looks pale like a dead person. Irene sobs a little.

Her husband hugs her tighter.

"I'm sorry. Because of me..."

"You are right! It's your fault! You shouldn't have accepted him!"

"You're right. Everyone got hurt...even Hyungsik..."

Irene asks, "Hyungsik?"

"He died in order to save our son..."