32. Premonition of War

Yoon-gi sighs.

There is another request to get few concubines again today. His ministers are very ambitious men.

He declares in the court, "Anyone who suggested concubines again shall be punished. He has to donate gold coins as heavy as his body weight to national fund. Understand?"

All the ministers are quiet. Hoseok's father is smiling brightly. It seems Irene has chosen a good husband. It's rare for a man to refuse another wife like this.

A minister asks, "Could you explain why, Your Majesty?"

"You think it's fair? She got pregnant. And I look for another woman. Having concubines will waste national fund. I'm not my father."

"Your Majesty, it's tradition..."

"Stupid tradition must be erased. Stop talking this nonsense. Guards, bring a body scale here. Anyone who mentioned this matter again shall be punished."

Two guards bring in a body scale. They put it in a corner of the Audience Hall. No minister dares to speak about concubines again.

*****

Hoseok's father visits his daughter later in the afternoon. His daughter looks pale and weak.

He asks worriedly, "How do you feel, my child?"

"Happy."

"You have heard it."

Irene nods and smiles brightly. Yoon-gi doesn't take a concubine although he could do it. He goes against tradition just for her.

She says, "He loves me, father. I chose the right man."

"You are right. Eat a bit more. You look too pale."

"I don't have any appetite right now."

"It might be a boy. You must give birth to a Crown Prince soon. The King couldn't go against the ministers too long. He would have to pick concubines soon."

Irene looks a bit sad. She knows it's inevitable. It's normal for men in Dongbuk Kingdom to have more than one wives. Even the lowest rank official has two wives.

She says, "I will prepare my heart, father."

"Good girl. I have warned you before. Being a Queen is never an easy route. You must be strong and fierce. I shall do anything to secure your position."

"Father, just find decent wives for him. Yoon-gi deserved to be happy."

Hoseok's father smiles to her. Irene couldn't smile back. The thought of Yoon-gi with another woman breaks her heart.

*****

Hyungsik has requested an audience with the King. Yoon-gi arranges a small meeting in the garden. It's around four in the afternoon.

It has been few weeks since he last visited the palace.

Yoon-gi asks, "What is it?"

"I miss you. That's simple."

"Stop talking rubbish. We know you aren't a romantic fellow."

"Maybe you didn't know me at all..."

"Hyungsik..."

The general smiles sadly. He looks a bit blue.

Yoon-gi asks, "What is it? If you fall in love with someone, I could arrange the marriage for you."

"The one I wanted has already married."

"Damn. Find another woman."

"My heart is no longer mine."