3. Assassination

Hyungsik warns, "Third Prince, it's best if we stayed in the Hwarang HQ for now."

"Relax! Tomorrow is our day off. We should hit town and go sightseeing," says Taehyung.

"It's dangerous."

"Nonsense. We are both capable men. The patrol squads are patrolling the city at night. Nothing would happen to us."

Hyungsik shakes his head. Taehyung is just like any other noblemen. He won't listen to lower rank officer like him. Hyungsik is just a commoner although Yoon-gi trusts him with many important tasks.

Taehyung goes from casinos to Pubs to other places where crowds would gather. He would chat with commoners as if they are his old friends. People tend to be friendly with him because of his sweet boxy smile.

Hyungsik shakes his head.

Yoon-gi is a quiet and calm man. His scar makes people got scared of him. Taehyung gives this aura of an old friend. It's like he could make friends anywhere he goes. Without even trying hard.

Hyungsik keeps following him. Hoping the Third Prince would get bored soon. It's almost midnight when they are walking home. The moonlight is shining brightly tonight. It's their source of light tonight.

A group of men block their path. Hyungsik stares behind him. Few men have blocked their escape route. Twenty men against two of them.

Tae asks, "What's this? A robbery?"

He grabs his wallet and tosses it to the ground in front of the thugs.

Tae says, "That's all my money. Just let us pass."

The thugs draw their blades. They aren't here for his money. They have come to kill the Third Prince.

Hyungsik draws his blade.

He warns, "You better fight back. They would blame your death on my Master."

Tae slashes a thug with his blade. He looks like a playful harmless guy. Yet he is quite a swordsman.

He asks, "What do you mean?"

"They will pin your death to my master. The general won't live long."

"Damn it! I don't want to drag Hyung down with me!"

Tae keeps slashing and piercing his enemies. Hyungsik tries his best to protect his rear, keeping the Third Prince alive.

A sword is aimed to his side. Tae is too late to avoid it. Hyungsik shields him with his own body. He got stabbed quite deep.

"Damn!" curses Tae when he stabs Hyungsik's attacker.

He kicks away a thug.

Then he dashes for his life. His plan works. They chase him. Leaving poor Hyungsik behind.

An arrow strikes his back during his flight. Tae keeps on running.

A thug calls, "No place to go, Prince! Die like a true warrior!"

Tae keeps on running toward the bridge. Too slow. Few men have appeared from the other side of the bridge. He is surrounded.

No other choice. Tae jumps down from the bridge. Straight into the canal.

"Find him! We must kill him!" yells the thug's leader.

Hyungsik shakes his head. He looses too many blood. Must return and report to General Min Yoon-gi.

*****

Yoon-gi couldn't sleep a wink. Insomnia is normal for him. He hasn't got much sleep since he killed the innocent children. Sometimes he wondered if he's a true demon like people said. Slain innocent folks just to end the war.

He is walking aimlessly in the barrack complex, checking the guards when Hyungsik returns with a wounded left shoulder.

"The Prince...the Yellow bridge..."

Hyungsik has collapsed.

Yoon-gi orders a guard, "Treat his wound! You, you and the three of you, follow me!"

Tae Tae, please be safe! I'm coming for you! Shit! I should have warned him myself!

Yoon-gi keeps scolding for not threatening his brother to stay at the Hwarang HQ. At least he would be safe in there. Yet knowing Tae, he would never stay put in one place.

He finds some corpses near the Yellow Bridge. Hyungsik or Tae must have slain them. Yoon-gi follows a bloody trail from the crime scene. The trail ends to the side of the bridge. Tae must have jumped into the canal.

Where is he? He couldn't be drown, could he?

Yoon-gi orders, "You two, left side! The three of you, right side! Check the canal! Find the wounded man! Save him with all your efforts!"

Yoon-gi takes off his shirt and his pants. He puts down his swords next to his clothes. He dives into the canal after his men have left.

The water is too murky. He couldn't see anything. Even if Tae drowned, he couldn't save him.

He swims back to the surface again. He splashes the water angrily, cursing at his powerless state. Tae is the only one who cares for him. He is unable to save him.

Few thugs appear from the canal side. They look around as if searching someone. Their swords are drawn. They look shocked to see the man emerges from the canal isn't the Third Prince.

Yoon-gi sneers wickedly.

"So you are the one who hurt him? Blood shall be paid by blood."

Yoon-gi grabs his swords. Short sword in his left hand. He used it to defend and attack his foes. His right hand is holding a long sword. His agile movements are infamous in battlefields. These low level thugs are no match for him.

He has killed all of them except the leader.

Yoon-gi grabs his collar and asks, "Who gave the order? Who?"

He shakes the thugs few times.

"I don't know! Only a pic of him and big bounty money. The guy wears a mask..."

Suddenly his eyes roll and foams appear from his mouth.

Poison.

This guy was poisoned before his mission started. Leaving no eyewitness afterwards.

Yoon-gi throws the dead body down. He stares to the canal. Water is still dripping from his body. He shivers a little when he wears back his clothes.

His men have returned. They shake their heads. No sign of the Third Prince.

Yoon-gi looks down to the ground.

The last person he wants to protect in this world. He has been taken from him. Maybe it's for the best. Taehyung is too kind and naive. Too good for this world.

Yoon-gi knows he must return to the barrack now. Spies are everywhere. They would report he left the barrack tonight. His enemies would accuse him for the assassination. He stares his men. These poor folks would be interrogated and forced to testify against him.

He calls them by their names.

He says, "Whatever happened in the future. It has been my honor to fight at your side. We have won the war. I don't care what happened to me. Think about your families and do what is best for them."

"General, what's wrong?"

"It's nothing. I'm just getting melancholy. Probably because of the moon."

Yoon-gi stares back to the dark canal water again before he leaves the spot.

Goodbye Tae. Maybe I'll see you soon. Nah, we won't meet. You would go to heaven. I will descend to Hell.

Yoon-gi doesn't have much regret in this world. He has stopped the war. He has brought peace back even if it would probably short lived.

--------------------------------------------------

Please vote and comment :)

Babysitter Hyungsik, you are fired.
I can't forgive you for what happened to Tae Tae.