27. The merchant

The governor is wailing when his men found a dead tax collector and dog heads at the outskirts of the village. He leads his men to attack West Rock village at the the next day.

"Slay them all!" orders him.

His men walk straight into numerous traps. A large tree trunk fall into their heads. Killed some soldiers.

Flying arrows shot them down. They tried to retaliate. No one is on the rooftops. It seems the trap is triggered when someone stepped on a buried switch on the ground.

Some soldiers fell into holes filled with spikes. They died too.

The governor yells, "Useless men!"

His friend, a merchant from Namseo suggests, "Let's set this place on fire. It will lure them out."

The governor orders, "You heard him! Burn this place to the ground! Kill anyone you find!"

The soldiers light torches and set everything on fire.

Few men suddenly emerge from holes underground. They throws oil jars to the soldiers. The soldiers got burned alive. Screams of agony and pain filled the air.

An arrow strikes the governor's chest. He has worn a protective vest beneath his fancy clothes. Otherwise he would be dead by now.

"Retreat! I'll come back and kill you all!"

They have left.

Yoon-gi aims and shoots another arrow to the governor's back. Still it doesn't kill him. He aims for his neck. Missed him.

He squats and sighs. That was close. They nearly didn't make it. He underestimated his troops.

It's lucky Jimin found the secret tunnels. The villagers must have made them to hide temporarily from the troops in the past.

Nam Joon warns, "Hyung, we can't stay here."

"I know. Let's hit another village. Find out more about the West Wind bandits."

"Why?"

"We are out numbered. Maybe we could get the bandits to aid us."

"Seriously?"

Nam Joon looks shocked. Bodyguards are sworn enemies to outlaws like bandits.

Yoon-gi smirks when he quotes, "My foe's enemies are my new best friends."

"Whatever you said, Hyung."

*****

Jimin touches his hat to shield his face from the soldiers. Nam Joon and him have gone to Rowoon city to check the condition.

Yoon-gi wanted to go earlier. Nam Joon disagreed. It's too dangerous for him.

The King and his bodyguards are hiding in the woods. Waiting for their good news.

Jimin volunteered himself. Now he regretted it. The soldiers look fierce.

They are sitting in a tea house, drinking tea. It seems the people here are poor. Only soldiers could afford such luxuries of eating out.

Jimin always thought Nam Joon as the tallest guy. Until a guy walks into the tea house. He is around 192 cm tall. He even bumps his head to the doorway.

He suddenly feels very lucky not being very tall. He never bumps his head like that.

The tall stranger looks around him. He has seen Jimin and Nam Joon. He walks toward their table and then sits down.