028

Juneteenth was yesterday, "marking the day when roughly 250,000 enslaved Texans found out that they have been free for over two years" and I urge anyone who may not be familiar with the history of Juneteenth to do so! It's very important (especially for us Americans) to learn this history that we might not have gotten in our schooling here in America! <3

SIDE-NOTE: Lots of dialogue in this chapter!! & The song I attached is so beautiful, and if you'd like, I highly recommend listening to it over & over again while you read <3 It's Immortale by Wolf!

Norah

"Have you eaten?"

"Today?"

He gave me a narrowed, side-eye glance from the driver's seat. Even though it was in slight annoyance, he smirked. "No, smartass. In the past 3 hours."

"I've been at work since 3:30, so no. I did have a protein bar on my break though."

As if that would suffice for Harry.

"What do you want to eat?"

Jeez. We were only 5 minutes into our drive and he hadn't offered me aux and now he's forcing me to eat?

Oh, I'm only kidding. It was extremely endearing. But not the aux cord part. That needed to change soon. I could only handle mainstream radio for so long.

"I'm not that hungry," I told him. Now give me the aux.

"I'm feeding you, Nor. You've got to have some energy for what I have planned tonight."

Now it was my turn to give him a look from the corner of my eye. "Oh really? What do you have planned that requires so much energy?"

He chuckled. My eyes dropped to his hands on the steering wheel as he adjusted his grip. He glanced over at me. "You've got a dirty mind, don't you, love?"

I shrugged. "Maybe."

He snickered at that and merged onto the 101 freeway. At around 11 o'clock at night on a weekday, there wasn't much traffic. Just enough to illuminate the car with passing headlights every several seconds, giving me a glimpse of Harry's face.

"Talk to me." His voice echoed in the silent car, surrounding me.

"What about?"

"When we talked a couple weeks ago, you said you'd lost your job," he explained, his tone light. "You hadn't really told me anything about what happened."

Weeks had gone by since I'd been fired from Cid's. My ego had taken a beating, the job search had come back unsuccessful, and I'd achieved a complete adjustment to my weekly budget in order to accommodate my new income. Thus, I felt I was in the right state of mind to actually talk about the situation with Harry without feeling like I was drowning in anxiety.

"I had a second job at a pizza place on Friday nights and the weekend. My shifts were only a few hours, but the tips I made single-handedly my paid for a chunk of my rent. Anyways, my boss pulled me aside one night after work and told me he had to let me go. It was honestly for a good reason. His nephew needed the job and I worked the least amount of hours at Cid's so..."

"Norah, that isn't right."

"I know, but there was really nothing I could do. Mike is a dick anyways, and I hated working under him. The only things that kept me there were the tips and working with Sam." I let his name fly out before I could stop it.

"Your ex Sam?"

"My friend, yeah," I corrected. Thinking of Sam as my ex-boyfriend only threw me into a tizzy thinking about that hectic month where we'd tried things out as a couple.