027

to everyone who likes & comments on these chapters, ilysm you have no idea. ya'll have a special place in my heart w/ ur silly ass replies 🥺

Norah

I'd often wondered what hell was like.

Was it as scary as it was always depicted to be? Was it a never-ending pit filled with fire and pain?

Or maybe it was personal. Like how Winter hated the ocean so her's would be a dark body of water, spanning for an infinite amount of miles both in length and depth, not knowing what was below her, and needing to tread water to stay alive.

Mine would surely be an endless line of job interviews.

I absolutely despised the process of getting a job. The anxiety of waiting for a call back, then trying to figure out how to dress...I mean what was I supposed to wear to an interview for an event photographer internship?

Okay, yes, I figured out what to wear, but I still hated interviews.

"Miss Gates?"

My back straightened out when a man wearing slacks and a white button up walked out of one of the office doors. He held a clipboard in his hand and by the confidence he exuded, this must be Kyren Jeffrey, one of the best event photographers in the LA area.

In the midst of my paid-job search, I'd stumbled across an application for an unpaid internship opening. I applied, sending in my portfolio that I had conveniently finished for my photography class, and received an email saying I had an interview in Beverly Hills on November 7th.

So, here I was. Still surviving on one job and about to give away my remaining free time to an unpaid internship.

"How you are you doing today?" Kyren asked me as I sat down across from him at the long conference table in the room.

"I'm good, thank you. How are you?"

He gave a wide smile, showing off such perfect teeth that I wanted to ask him if he'd ever thought about being in a toothpaste commercial.

"Just great." He opened up the folder clipped to the clipboard, giving me a glimpse at a photo I'd taken of Niall at the One Direction concert.

"Now, I've looked over your portfolio, and I have to say it's very impressive. But I have to ask how you got the chance to photograph One Direction's show? You worked with their photographer if I read correctly?"

I nodded. "Yes, I actually have a friend that works closely with the band, and I was approved to help shoot a couple shows." It wasn't a lie at all as much as it was a small omission. "I was very fortunate to partner with Cal Aurand and take photos for their official Instagram. I learned a lot from him."

Kyren nodded, seeming to be impressed, and continued to flip through my portfolio. "These are excellent shots."

I wasn't too humble to say that the concert shots were actually pretty decent photos. It helped greatly that I know One Direction's performances so well, which made it easy to catch them in the perfect moments.

"If you have such a connection with One Direction, may I ask why you want to work for me and not with them?"

Great question.

"I'm still in school for another year and would like to be able to get my Bachelor's degree. Also, your business is truly remarkable and it would be a massive opportunity to learn from you."