058

BESTIES EXCITING NEWS!!!!

When you're done reading this chapter....GO ADD MY NEW HARRY AU FANFIC  IRYS TO YOUR LIBRARIES & READING LISTS!!! The extended description/disclaimers & character aesthetics have been published, so go check it out now on my profile & let me know what you think!!

GO ADD MY NEW HARRY AU FANFIC  IRYS TO YOUR LIBRARIES & READING LISTS!!! The extended description/disclaimers & character aesthetics have been published, so go check it out now on my profile & let me know what you think!!

Norah

"I fucking hate funerals. I don't want to go to another fucking funeral ever. Specifically a funeral in this fucking town. Fuck."

"I fuckin' know, babe."

"Don't mock me."

"I'm absolutely not mocking you." He squeezed my thigh where his hand had rested for most of this road trip. The first four hours of the drive consisted of us acting like we weren't driving towards hell—hell being my hometown. We sang along to the radio and talked nonsense. The next hour, I sat in silence, staring out the window at the familiar scenery. In the final hour, I was simply nervous out of my mind.

Perhaps I shouldn't be calling it hell when the reason we were going to my hometown—ehem...hell—was because of a funeral...

My step-dad's mother, Doreen, passed away last week, and as someone with not one bad bone in her body, I knew I had to be there. When I lived at home before college, I would see her during any holidays or special occasions. She was always welcoming and loving. While she didn't treat me like I was a grandchild of her's, she never treated me like a stranger, and for that, I was grateful.

"Thank you for coming with me," I told him, sincerely. "You didn't have to."

Harry knew it would be my first time back at home since Evan's funeral, and immediately cleared his week's schedule to drive back with me without me asking.

He chuckled humorlessly. "Love, the only thing you can thank me for is if I manage to not say anything unkind to your mum."

He was also coming along to be moral support for when I face my mother again. I hadn't spoken to her since I called her up a couple weeks after I left the hospital as a courtesy. She showed some concern, I'll give her that, but the call lasted a sum total of two minutes and ended with her saying she'd come visit soon. Clearly, she never did.

"She's gonna be bad, and I apologize in advance for her behavior. Please just try to ignore the tension. Don't expect her to be all warm and want hugs. And if you manage to break the ice that surrounds her entire...being, then I might just have to reward you."

"Oh, a reward? What kind? Sexual?"

Yes, but I rolled my eyes anyways. "Ugh, all men are the same."

He gasped, squeezing my thigh higher than his hand had been before. "Take that back."

I leaned over the center console to kiss his cheek and also allow his hand to shift and accidentally brush against the apex of my jeans. "I take it back."