bonus content (1)

hi guys!! bonus chapters time (:

TW // themes of PTSD, talk of attempted sexual assault/rape, talk of suicide

bonus chapter — the break-in
(sometime before the wedding; early 2022)

Norah

"Mrs. Styles, the police are already on their way. Would you like me to send medical services to your home?"

I didn't bother to correct the man that we weren't yet married seeing as I was too busy coming down from a panic at waking up in the middle of the night to our  super-duper expensive alarm system going off.

Harry was away for a few days shooting a music video which left me alone in an uncomfortably large home. Our home as of a few months ago when I moved in after making Harry suffer for nearly six months as he watched me live paycheck to paycheck. He had tried his best to understand that while money was a constant stress on my mind, I was still happy. Now, we lived under the same roof and he got away with spending a lot of money on me.

"No, no, I'm not hurt."

"Okay, ma'am. I'll stay on the phone with you until the police show up. You're still in a safe place?"

"Yes. In my closet and the door is locked."

When the blaring noise had woken me up, I panicked and wasted no time running into the closet with my phone. I had planned on calling the police, but the alarm company was already calling me. They had likely called Harry first, but he wouldn't have answered since he was all the way across the world at work.

Honestly, I didn't want to stay on the phone with the alarm company. I wanted to call Jeff and demand he put Harry on the phone to calm me down. I couldn't stop my heart from pounding erratically or my entire body from vibrating with anxiety at the thought of someone being in the house.

Seconds felt like minutes, and minutes felt like hours. Eventually, the man on the phone notified me the police were about to enter the house, then ended the call. Some time later, there was a knock on the closet door and the police made their presence known. On shaking legs, I got up from the floor and opened the door.

"Mrs. Styles?"

"Uh...yeah. Almost. Norah Baker...almost Styles."

Not important right now, Norah.

"Okay, ma'am. I'm Officer Güney. We're going to escort you outside. Hold onto this strap here."

I took hold of the back of the man's tactical vest, ignoring the scary looking automatic weapons him and the two other officers were holding. I couldn't help but think about what possible outcome could have led to them gearing up the way they did. I strayed a few glances around the house as we made our way outside. Nothing looked out of place.

"Was there someone inside?" I dared to ask as we crossed the threshold to the outdoors.

"Yes, there was."

My stomach dropped to the floor, my breath seizing in my throat. I wasn't sure what answer I was anticipating. I was hoping it was a fluke—the the alarm went off by accident, but I surely couldn't have prepared myself for hearing my fears confirmed aloud.

My eyes flickered over our yard taking in the four police cars with strobing lights. One of them had the back door open and I assumed that whoever was in the back seat was the one that had been in my house.

The officer, Officer Güney, led me to sit down on the tailgate of a police SUV. "Is there someone we can call for you?"

"I want to know what's going on first. Who was in my house? How did they get inside?"