Chapter 48

Peeta's POV

I never thought this day would happen but it is.

I hold Katniss in my embrace and slowly sway her side to side as she clutches the back of my shirt and rests her head on my shoulder.

Katniss tightens her grip onto my shirt as another contraction hits.
Katniss quietly cries and whimpers in pain.

"Sssssshhh." I comfort as she releases quiet sobs from her mouth.

Katniss usually just says my name after a contraction is done and nothing else but she tells me more than that this time.

"It hurts so much Peeta!" Katniss complains and I stroke her neck.

"I know, I know. Don't worry. I am right here for you. What ever happens I will be by your side." I reply and Katniss nods.

I peck Katniss' forehead and then glance at the clock. 11:38am. Katniss has been in labour for over 8 hours now.

"It's taking so long Peeta." Katniss again complains. I don't mind all the complaining. I've expected it.

"I know sweetie. She will be here soon." I reassure her and we are interrupted by Adriana coming into the room.

"I need to check how far along she is now." Adriana simply says and I nod.

I move my hands to support Katniss and she slowly makes her way to the hospital bed.
Adriana joins me to help Katniss and soon enough Katniss lies down on the bed.

Adriana props Katniss legs up and I hold one up for her. I grasp onto Katniss' other hand.

"Okay. I have to do it again Katniss." Adriana says and I look at my wife. She soon shows an uncomfortable expression on her face.

"Kat. Just look at me. Just look at me." I calmly demand and she looks into my eyes. I nod and smile for her.

"6cm. You're getting closer." Adriana exclaims and I lower Katniss' leg. I go to stand beside her and kiss her forehead.

"You are doing so well." I encourage and Katniss weakly smiles. Adriana quickly checks a couple of things before heading out of the room. Immediately afterwards she squeezes my hand and scrunches her face in pain.

"Let it out. Let it out." I demand and stroke her cheek. Katniss cries in pain as the contraction continues.

"Good girl. Good girl." I congratulate as she takes a deep breath. I notice that I have seemed to repeat heaps.

That's when I see it. Oh no! Not now.

Flashbacks of my mother beating me flash before my eyes.

"I'm sorry Katniss there is nothing I can do!" I exclaim and place my other hand in hers.

Slap of the face. Bruises.
Rolling pin. Bruises.
Nails. Scratches. Cuts.

I close my eyes and kneel on the ground. Still holding Katniss hand.

Repeat.
Slap of the face. Nasty comments.
Rolling pin. Bruises.
Nails. Scratches.

"Peeta." Katniss exclaims and we both squeeze hands.

Katniss and I both scream in pain. Soon we both stop and Katniss let's out a gasp.

I open my eyes and immediately stand up.

"I'm sorry. What's happened? Kat? Katniss!?" I exclaim. Katniss just stares at her legs.

"I felt something slip out." She says and we look at each other. Confused and blank.

Something's wrong.