Chapter 17

Peeta's POV

We have been married for just over 7 years and we are loving it.
Even though flashbacks and nightmares stand in our way, our life is great.

I'm going to ask her.
I haven't asked for 4 years now, so I should check if she's changed her mind.

"Katniss?" I ask my wife, looking at her lying figure beside me in our bed.

"Yeah?" She replies, tilting her head up slowly.

I turn so I am face on to her and place a hand on the side of her waist.
I silently take a deep breath and look into her eyes.

"Do you want to do it?" I say, a little rushed.

Maybe not too rushed as Katniss seems to pick up my question. "Do what?" My wife looks at me confused.

"Have, kids?" I answer slowly and with pauses.

Katniss eyes trail down to where my hand is once I said the word.
After a whole, she lets me know.

"Maybe Peeta."

A rush of relief floods over me. Her mind has changed. It could happen soon.

"Don't get your hopes up just yet baby. Just let me think about it." She adds and some of the relief seems to vanish.

"Oh. That's fine." I say out loud when I wanted it to be in my head. Oops.

Katniss looks at her stomach and places a couple of fingers on briefly before taking them off.
"I'm sorry if I've disappointed you Peeta but I'm not ready. Just yet." Katniss states and I nod and her before kissing her forehead.

"It's fine." I answer and wrap my arms around her in a hug.

She snuggles her head into my chest and mine goes into her hair.
I stroke the bottom of her head and kiss her head, multiple times.

Soon it gets comforting and both of us find sleep.

Someway, somehow.