Chapter 43

Peeta's POV

I try to sleep but I'm wide awake. My closed eyes is the closest I can get to sleep and have been for the past couple of days.

I'm a bit relieved and a bit scared right at this very moment.

Katniss' doctor came in saying soon they will bring her out of her coma. That's what I am relieved about.
What the results are is what I am scared about. She doesn't deserve to be put down. I need her with me.

Ever since I held her hand those days back, I haven't let go.

I soon hear footsteps of more than one person come into the room. I feel fingers tap my shoulder and I open my eyes to see her doctor.

"We will take her out of the coma now." He says and I nod.

"I'll just have a rest to make things easier for you. I'll be awake probably for the while time you're in here so if you need to tell me anything, I'm not asleep." The doctor nods in reply and I close my eyes again.

I slightly tighten my grip onto Katniss' hand as I hear footsteps and machines.

It's okay. She's okay. I try to reassure myself.

I'm surprised the doctors and nurses don't try to pry my hand from Katniss'. I'm glad they don't try.

Soon the machine noises stop and the footstep noises lessen.
"It'll take a few minutes before she's fully awake." I hear the doctor say.

"Okay. Thank you sir." I thank and in a matter of seconds there is silence.

I just wait and wait for my Katniss to register that she's awake and I'm here by her side.

"Peeta." I hear a murmur suddenly and my hand is slightly squeezed.
I open my eyes and see my wife awake by my side. Her oxygen mask still covering her mouth.

"You're okay." I quietly exclaim and she smiles.
I sit up on my bed, remove my oxygen mask from my face and sit on Katniss' bed.

"Why did you have that on?" She asks weakly.

I sadly smile at her before replying. "They were just making sure I didn't get what you got and I also had a hard time breathing normally at some times. The mask makes me feel relaxed." She nods but I can tell she is worried.

"Don't worry about me sweetie. I want to make sure you're all healthy and can come home." I add and kiss her cheek since her lips are unreachable.

I hear the door open and turn my head. Katniss' doctor walks to her bed.
"Hello Katniss. How are you feeling?"He asks.

"A bit weak." She replies and I gasp.

Her doctor turns to me. "The machine." I nod and sit on my bed. I place the breathing mouthpiece in my mouth and breath.

"Besides being a little weak?" Katniss' doctor asks.

"I'm perfectly fine. Besides some pregnancy side effects." When she says that take the mouthpiece out of my mouth and sigh in relief. I run my hand through my messy hair before sitting with Katniss again.

I place a hand on her bump and stroke it with my thumb.
"I told you to keep your hopes up Mr Mellark. Look where it got your wife." The doctor comments and I nod.

"I wouldn't let this sickness take my life Peeta. I did all I could do and I ended up winning." Katniss adds to her doctors comment.

Tears of joy fall down my face and I hug her to the best of my ability.

She's okay.