Chapter 36

Katniss' POV

"Now, I have heard that it was our Peeta Mellark's birthday just over a week ago?" Caesar asks us as we beside him in our catchup interview.

"Yes it was." I answer and Peeta adds to my comment.

"She spoilt me." Peeta chuckles and I do to. The crowds cries in awe.

Peeta snakes his arm around my back and his fingers rest on the side of my bump. Caesar looks at Peeta's hand surprised.
I turn to Peeta and give him a small smile which he returns. He gives me a short kiss before murmuring into my ear.

"Bound to ask soon." I slightly nod. I turn my eyes to the fabric of my dress which I have asked my prep team if I could keep which they accepted.
The chocolate brown colouring with a darker floral pattern covering it. It's comfortable and gorgeous.

"I have some suspicions. I really would like to ask if that's okay?" Caesar says and we both nod.

"Are you two lovers expecting a little Mellark?" I look to Peeta and Peeta looks to me.

"We are." Peeta answers, still looking at me, and the crowd goes into an uproar of applause.
I smile and kiss him before Peeta places his other hand on my bump and I place one of mine on top.

"It's official! The Mellarks are expecting a child!" Caesar exclaims and the crowd goes louder.
"I'm sure Haymitch Abernathy is thrilled." Caesar says once the crowd has died down and I gasp. I freeze and Peeta stiffens.

"We told him just in time." I slowly say, the feeling to tears coming.

"Just in time? May you elaborate on that?" Caesar asks and I place my face in my free hand. I silently take deep breaths before Peeta continues.

"We told him just before he passed." Peeta elaborates and I burst into tears. I lean my head on Peeta's arm and he hugs me.

"It's okay. We will go on the roof afterwards. Okay?" I nod into Peeta's sleeve and he strokes my arm.

"It's been hard to sink in." Peeta says.

"Oh. I should sadly probably let you go then." Caesar says and I lift my head.

"Are you alright Katniss?" Caesar asks me and I nod my head. I wipe my eyes and put on a small smile.

"It was nice seeing you two and congratulations." Caesar thanks and shakes our hand.

"Katniss and Peeta Mellark everyone!"Caesar shouts as we 3 stand up. Peeta and I put on smiles and then walk off stage. No waves. Both of us on the verge of crying.

Once we enter backstage I slightly demand to Peeta. "Let's go now." Referring to the roof.

"Okay." Peeta answers and wraps an arm around me. We head to the elevator and head to the roof.

Where, in each others embrace, we can become calm and relax.