Chapter 32

Peeta's POV

I smile as I realise my wife fell asleep. I pick her up, this new weight not bothering me, and make my way to the bedroom.

I sit down on the bed once we reach it and place one hand in Katniss' back and the other on her head.

I slowly lean down and rest her head on her pillow. I smile again and kiss her head before climbing in beside her.

I know it's mid-afternoon but Katniss needs this sleep.

I lie myself down and place a protective arm over her and my unborn child.
I close my eyes and dream of a place where my family will be safe.

-----------------

"How's the baby?" Jason asks Katniss as I knead dough. I brought Katniss to the bakery after our next appointment.
I don't want to leave her home alone. She's too vulnerable to pain.

"The baby is alright thanks Jason." Katniss replies and I look up to her with a smile.
She returns with a smile and places a hand on her stomach.

Katniss walks over to me and places a hand on my back.

"How's it going?" She asks.

"Pretty good I guess. My wife and unborn baby are healthy which made my day." I comment and Katniss sighs in awe.
"I don't want either of you hurt or unhealthy." I add and kiss Katniss.

"That's good. Were you excited to hear the heartbeat?"

"Beyond excited Kat. I was speechless." I say with a wide smile and place the bread I was making in the oven.

I brush my hands on my apron and wash my hands.

I slide off my apron and alert Jason.

"Hey Jason, is it okay if I leave slightly early?"

"Yeah, go right ahead. You can go whenever, just let me know." He answers and I nod.

"I just put a loaf in the oven by the way." I reply and he nods.

Katniss and I say goodbye to Jason and we head home.

We plan on stopping by Haymitch's place just to check on him.

We aren't going to say anything about Katniss unless he notices. Katniss and I walk hand in hand towards his home which is closer to the Victor's Village gate then ours.

When we reach his door Katniss bangs on it.
"Haymitch." Katniss and I shout but soon give up and make our way in.

A strong smell of alcohol hits our noses answer block them briefly.
Katniss makes her way in front of me to find Haymitch and I make my way into his kitchen.

Empty bottles and more empty bottle lie everywhere.

I hear Katniss gasp and I turn to face the hallway.

"Katniss." I say and make my way to the living room.

"Katn-"