Chapter 35

Katniss' POV

I wake up to a bright morning days later. Peeta's day.
I look and smile at him. On this day, 21st September, 35 years ago, my husband was born.

I slip out of bed, not disturbing Peeta, and make my way downstairs. He's a moderately heavy sleeper. I hope he won't wake up while I'm down here.

I 'make' him breakfast. He and I know I'm bad in the kitchen so I won't risk something too big like he does for me on my birthday.

Once I've made him his breakfast, consisting of toast and scrambled egg, I pour him his favourite juice into a tallish glass and make my way upstairs.

I enter our bedroom and go to his side of the bed, finding him still asleep. I place the glass and plate on his bedside table and sit down beside him. I rest my hand on his arm.

"Peeta." I murmur and stroke his arm, making him stir.
"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Peeta. Happy birthday to you." I sing as he wakes up. He turns to me with a big smile on his face.

"Thank you sweetie. I love hearing your singing voice." He comments and I kiss him. He sits up on the bed and glances towards his bedside table.

"I made you breakfast." I state with a smile.

"What did my lovely pregnant wife make for me?" Peeta asks and I chuckle.

"Scramble egg and toast. With a glass of pineapple coconut juice. It's nothing much." I tell him.

"Nothing much? I didn't expect this at all Kat." Peeta retorts and he gives me a peck on the cheek.
I pass his breakfast to him and I get up and head to my bedside table.

Holding my widening stomach, I bend down and open the top drawer. I grab hold of a small black box and close the drawer.

I walk back to his side, my hand resting of my bump, and sit by him again. I stroke my bump with my thumb.

"Kat." The birthday boy says and I look up. A piece of my toast in his fingers. I open my mouth and he places it on my tongue and I taste the toast I made.

I chuckle and swallow it. "Not bad." I comment. Peeta places the plate on the table and I hand him my small gift.

"Just a little something." I say as he unites the ribbon and opens the box.

"Oh Kat." He gasps and gets the gift out if the box. He places it in his hand and I look at his polished medallion.

"I got it cleaned up for you." I say with a smile. "Look inside." I add and he looks at me confused. He opens it up anyway and it unveils a small picture of us on our wedding day.

"Kat." He exclaims in awe.

"There are two more spots Peeta." I say. "One for the baby and one of your choice." I add and Peeta hugs me.

"Thank you baby." He thanks and I smile.

But the day has only just begun.