Chapter 14

Katniss' POV

I decided to teach him the basics.

Even though Peeta has too be careful with what he does, we walk hand in hand to the woods. Peeta is annoyed that we are wasting time because he has to go slower and I retort saying its fine.
Soon we reach the clearing where I'm going to teach him and get my bow and arrows from the tree where they are kept.

I turn back to Peeta and he has an excited grin on his face. "You're going to teach me?" I reply with a nod and smile. He smiles back and I kiss him before placing a arrow in the bow, ready for
Peeta.

"Now. I want you to be careful. Don't overwork you shoulders if they start to hurt okay?"

"Okay." He replies and I place the loaded bow in his hands.

"Let's start. Show me how you would hold a bow if you were going to shoot that tree." I instruct pointing to the closet tree straight in front of him. I take a few steps back and Peeta gets into 'position'.

I notice he has the bow to high and his posture is wrong.

"Okay." I announce walking to his back. I place my hands gently on his shoulders.

"You can relax your shoulders a bit." I murmur into his ear and I feel his shoulders lower. When I am satisfied with the height I acknowledge it. "Good." I say and just to tease him, I kiss his neck.

I then come in front of him and look at his legs. "Spread your legs out." I say and Peeta stretches them out as far as he can. I start laughing and so does he. "No, no. Just a little bit apart." I say in between my laughs and Peeta returns to serious.
The serious look he gives me stops my laughing.

I go back behind him. "Okay, time to shoot."

"I'm not sure about this Katniss." He says, uneasiness in his voice.

"You'll be fine. Here, I'll even do it with you." I say before placing my hand over Peeta's right, holding back the arrow. I then, for comfort, place my other hand on his left upper arm.

"Were going to let go of the string Peeta in 3...." I instruct quietly.

"2......." I close my left eye so I can see where he might shoot the arrow.

"1!" As soon as the number is spoken, Peeta let's go of the string and in seconds the arrow is wedged into the right side of the tree trunk.

"Not bad." I comment and Peeta turns to hug me. I accept the hug and Peeta kisses me.

"That was better than me when I first had a go." I state and Peeta places a proud smile on his face.

"That doesn't make you more skilled at it than me." I add and that smile is gone. I chuckle and hug him again.

"Want to go and retrieve you arrow?" I ask and Peeta nods. He walks to the tree and pulls it out before handing it to me.

"Let me show you how the master shoots." I boast with a chuckle. I stand ready and load my bow.
I set it up and aim it for the middle of the same tree trunk. I take a deep breath and get ready to let the string go.

"BOO!" Peeta exclaims as I let go of of the string. I scream and turn to Peeta, completely startled. Peeta looks at the tree and chuckles.

"You might not want to look." Peeta suggests but I do and find it lower down the tree than I aimed.

"It was your fault Peeta. You screamed in my ear." I stare into Peeta's eyes and he pretends to be taken aback.

"I want to push you too the ground but I can't." I say slightly angrily. Peeta runs to collect to arrow and before I can look at him. Peeta picks me up and places me over his shoulder.

"Peeta!" I exclaim. He places my quiver of arrows and bow into the tree before he walks away, me still in his shoulder.

I lightly kick my legs but soon decide to give up. I give a big sigh of defeat and stop kicking.
Letting Peeta take me home.