Chapter 38

Katniss' POV

I stop in my tracks as I feel something weird happening in my stomach. I drop the wooden bowl I was holding and gasp. I place my left hand where my unborn child was and gasped the same thing happened again.

"Kat." Peeta says and I look up at him.

"Peeta." I call quietly in fear, not knowing what was happening.
"Peeta." I say again, more worried and gesture him to me. He stops what's he's doing and comes to me.

"Katniss, what's wrong?" He asks and places his hands on my cheeks. I bury my head into the crook of his neck, trying to piece it together silently.
The smell of cinnamon that lingers on his shirt calms me as the movement continues even more.

"Place a hand on my bump Peeta." I suggest and he does so. I tighten my grip in Peeta's shirt as our baby starts to move more wildly and painfully.

"The - the baby is kicking." I stutter as the realization comes into place.

"Oh my gosh." Peeta exclaims and he gets down on his knees. He places his other hand on and the kicking continues.

Tears start building and soon I have to let them go. I cover my face with my hands as I sob.

"What's the matter Katniss?" He questions, getting worried.

"It hurts." I whimper and lean on his chest. His hands leave my stomach and wrap around me in a comfortable embrace.

I close my eyes and imagine holding my newborn baby in the months to come and Peeta showing a big beaming smile.

The tears soon stop flowing but I start to shake in its place.

Peeta shushes me and stroke my hair. Comforting me throughout this moment of distress.

He kisses my head and I look up at him. We smile at each other before his thumbs wipe my cheeks.

"Peeta." Peeta nods and gives me another smile.

"Yes Katniss?"

"Will you stay with me?" I protest, not wanting him to leave me alone. His embrace that he is giving me is all I want right now.

"Yeah." Peeta replies, stroking my fingers. "Always."

We share a passionate kiss which I knew we were both reluctant to break away.
I smile remembering the time he told me the exact same words on the train while on the victory tour all those years ago.

I lead him to the couch. Peeta stroking my lower back the whole walk.

Peeta helps me sit down once we reach the couch and he follows suit shortly afterwards.

"Im 18 weeks and the baby is kicking. Just like Adriana said." I say to break up the silence.

"Yes and you know what that means? In two weeks we find the gender of the little one." Peeta answers and briefly places his hand on my bump, causing our child to kick.

"The baby likes you." I say and Peeta gives me a proud and beaming smile. Peeta gives me another kiss before I lean on him.

I can now know that our baby will at least like one of its parents.