Chapter 37

Peeta's POV

My arms wrap comfortably around my wife as she relaxes on my chest.
We stand on the roof, where we have spent two nights before and try to calm after a unexpected ending to our interview.

Katniss tightens her grip onto my shirt underneath my jacket which I don't mind and I feel her breathing on my shirt.

"Why did Caesar have to bring it up?" Katniss complains but her voice is muffled as her face is in my shirt.

"I don't know. That's the first time he's been mentioned when we have some big news. " I reply and sigh.

I stroke Katniss' side with my thumb and start to gently sway. I kiss Katniss' brown hair and rest my chin in its place.
I close my eyes, liking to gesture I am making. Katniss is making it more comfortable.

"Peeta, look." Katniss says and lift her head.
I open my eyes and look to see where she has pointed.

Katniss points towards the sky where streaks of yellow, orange and white are combing. They are trying to blend, just like you would on a canvas.

"Orange." She starts.

"Like a sunset." I add and I smile.

"Your favourite colour." Katniss finishes and looks up at me. I look down on her and see the smile on her face.
We look at each other silently for minutes before I start to get worried.

"Are you okay Kat?" She nods in reply and we place a hand on her bump.

"I'm getting a little sore from standing." She replies.

"Oh." I say and look around. I find a seat, long enough and in a position that we could lie down on.
"Come." I calmly demand and take her hands in mine. I lead her to the seat. "We can sleep here." I add.

"Really?" Katniss asks and I nod. I sit down and position myself to sleep. I then motion to Katniss to join me and she slowly, but carefully, lies down beside me.

I place my arm protectively over her and my unborn child and she places her head on my chest. Her left hand goes to rest close to her head, on my chest, and she smiles peacefully.

"You can close your eyes. I'll be right here when they open again." I tell her and she nods.

"Night sweetie." She farewells me before closing her eyes, hopefully to soon enter a nightmare free sleep.

"Goodnight my mockingjay and little one." I murmur with a smile before closing my eyes and letting sleep take over.