Chapter 20

Katniss' POV

I walk into our bedroom to see Peeta looking at himself while sitting on our bed. His shirt is off and I can tell he's scanning his scars.

"Peeta." I say and he looks up, a little scared.

"Hey." He greets me so quietly it's nearly un audible. I slowly walk to the bed and sit beside him.

Peeta looks back down at his arms which has burn marks and cut scars. I sit right beside him and look at his scars as well. I trace my hand over his right arm. I decide to let him see my scars. I sit on the left side of him and grab onto the neckline of my shirt.

Peeta looks up at me with fear and starts crying. "Katniss." He manages to say between sobs.

"It's okay sweetie." I coo.

"This is going to cause an attack -"

"I'll be here Peeta. Don't worry." I comfort and slip my shirt off. I sadly smile at him before looking at his prosthetic. I lead my hands to where the strap is and begin to take the prosthetic off.

"Katniss -"

"Ssshhh. Don't worry." I cut Peeta off as I place the prosthetic on the floor beside the bed.
Once done, I face Peeta and see he is looking at my waist hesitantly.

"It's okay. You can touch." I admit and Peeta places his rough hand on one of my scars.

I sadly smile and trace over what is left for his amputated leg.

"Come closer." Peeta calmly demands and I do as he wants. I place myself close enough for him not to stretch to touch me and he gently kisses my scar, from when Johanna cut out my tracker in the quarter quell.

From then on we stay silent.

Peeta's hand then goes to my forehead where he strokes the cut scar from when Clove cut me with her knife.
I place my hand on one of his scars on his chest. Probably from his torturing in the Capitol.

I blink to get out the memories from the past and continue admiring, if you can call it that, his scars.

I kiss a burn mark on his neck and then rest my head there. Peeta then kisses my jawline before drawing swirls on my back with his finger.

Peeta soon brings up his hand and gently places it on my neck. I smile and close my eyes. Feeling Peeta's comfort on me.

Through the night we continue, until our eyes can't stay open.