Chapter 7

Peeta's POV

My sleep must not have lasted long as I wake up again but this time with Katniss completely in tears.

I frown slightly when I see her and stroke her hand she is holding mine with. Katniss looks up at me, red eyes and wet cheeks.

"Why does everything bad have to happen to us Peeta?" She asks me, still crying.

"I don't know." I reply while shaking my head.

Katniss comes up to me and hugs me which I do not reject. I let my hand run up and down in Katniss' hair.

"It's okay." I coo, but the crying doesn't stop.
"Kat what's happened? Why are you crying?" She looks up at me and sits on the edge of the bed.
I place my hand on her left cheek and my thumb wipes her flowing tears. "I don't want my wife to cry."

"The - the doctor came in after you fell asleep a - and" This brings on a new wave of tears which she can't hold in.

"And what?" I ask her, trying to get her to continue. Still crying, Katniss places her hand to my hand resting on her cheek.

"He told me some bad news. Y - you have to go for another surgery."

"Why? I don't find there is anything else wrong with me." Katniss closes her eyes and sniffles, tears still coming like a waterfall.

She opens up her eyes and continues. "The fall caused your prosthetic to cut your wound where they join up.
They only just realised but you have to get more of your leg off so I won't infect your leg." Katniss finishes and buries her head into my chest.

I look at my leg which has the prosthetic connected.

"Oh." Is all I can say. I place a hand on Katniss' back and wrap my other one around her.

"Hey, at least they realise now. I could've gone home with a leg infection and you wouldn't want that. Wouldn't you?" Katniss shakes her head, still on my chest.

I do my best to bring Katniss up to lie on the bed with me. I manage to and we just cries into the hospital gown I was wearing.

"It'll be okay Kat. Sssshh." I repeat to my wife who is so distraught right now by the news.

"Kat. Kat?" Katniss lifts up her head to look at me. I wipe both her cheeks and give her a small smile.

"You know I love you so much and wouldn't leave you. Ever." I say, trying to stop Katniss crying which starts to work.

"I love you too." Katniss sniffles before giving me and kiss and wrapping her arms around my neck as best as she could.

"I'll be okay. We will be okay." I whisper into her ear and she nods.

Soon my doctor comes into the room with a coupe of nurses.

"It's time for the surgery." Katniss looks at me, freaking out.

"Hey, hey. Remember what I said? I'll be okay. I'm in safe hands." Katniss nods and gets out of the bed. She grasps onto my hands and the nurses start getting ready to wheel me out.

"It's okay. You'll be okay." Katniss says, trying to give me a smile. I nod and smile in return and the bed starts moving forward.

"I love you so much Kat."

"I love you too." Katniss replies, managing to keep tears in. Our hands start separating and Katniss gets worried.

"I'll see you soon okay?" Katniss nods and our hands are apart. I bring mine to my side and I have left the room.

While they wheel me to surgery, I bring my hand that was grasping Katniss' to my chest. That will be all of Katniss I have with me.

But I'll be okay. She will be there waiting for me.