Chapter 21

Peeta's POV

"Katniss go." I say while I'm still me.

"No I'm not leaving you!" Katniss retorts.

"Go! I'm going to hurt you otherwise."
Why am I talking to the mutt?

I walk straight up to the mutt metres away from me. I grab neck in my hand and push her hard against the wall.

"You mutt! You killed everyone I ever loved and knew. They're all gone because of you!" I scream closed teeth. Anger filling my whole body.
The mutt is starting to choke and gasp for air. Just what I want.

"Peeta this is not the real you. I love you Peeta." she manages to say.

"Real? You are the one not real!" This stupid Capitol creation.

Still in my grasp, I take the mutt off the wall and seconds later slam her back into it. Katniss whimpers in pain and I smirk "You're seconds closer to you death mutt.. I'm just making it painfully slow."

"Not real Peeta. Not real. Fight you way back."

"Thats all I hear from you. The Capitol must have programmed you to say that so much." I slap her hard on the cheek before letting her drop to the ground. She yelps as she lands in a thud.

"Oh Peeta where are you!?" Tears start falling down the mutt's face. I loom over her, enough distance to do that final blow. I raise my right foot above her.

"Peeta." She murmurs quietly and Katniss and I kissing come into vision. I slowly calm. But anger still lingers.

Friend? Lover?
Enemy?
Girlfriend?
Mutt?
Partner? Hunter?

I am back to my senses.
Katniss.

I look down and see her curled in a ball. I lower my foot away from her and kneel down.
Scared.

I grab Katniss in my arms and hug her close to my chest. I start sobbing into her hair.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I mutter over and over.

Katniss soon strokes my arm closest to her reach.

She doesn't speak but with one gesture, tries to calm me. I close my eyes and bury my head into her hair.

My sobbing doesn't seem to stop and I'm scared to look at what I've done.