Chapter 12

Peeta's POV

I lay down on our bed. Finally back home.

Even though I have to ask Katniss to do even the basics like, sitting up or walking to the bathroom, I seem to be happy and free.

Katniss opens the door and comes in, holding a drink of water and a really small bottle.
She smiles and places them on my bedside table before looking at me.

"Time for your painkillers." Katniss comments and I nod. "We'll get you up slowly okay?" I nod and smile.

I grasp both my hands around one of Katniss' and she places her free hand on my back.

"3, 2, 1." She announces before Katniss slowly brings me into a sitting position. I let out a small cry as a pain strikes right down my spine. Katniss stops for a couple of seconds before continuing.

I close my eyes, blocking out the world as the pain makes itself known. I squish my eyes shut tight and soon Katniss is holding me up.

I open my eyes and look behind me to see Katniss preparing a pillow for me to sit against our wooden headboard.

This is such an effort.

I let one of my hands slip from Katniss' and place it on the bed covers beside me.

"Move back slowly. I don't want you to be in more pain." Katniss states and I look into her eyes. I can see the worry in them.

"Don't worry, I'm definitely going to be careful." I reassure her before slowly resting my sore back on the soft pillow.

Once I'm comfortable, Katniss sits in the edge of the bed besides me. She gives me a sad smile and removes my blonde hair falling over my face.

I smile before her hand I was holding onto leaves my hands and opens up the small bottle continuing my tablets. She shakes the bottle until two land on her hand and, the tablets still in her grasp, closes the bottle.

She moves her hand containing the tablets towards me. I have my hand out and she drops the tablet into my hand. I sigh when I see them and Katniss passes over a glass of water for me to hold in my left hand.

Katniss places one of her hands on my calf before I sort of chuck the tablets into my mouth and gulp down water.

I look up at the ceiling of our room as I swallow them down, the tablets disappearing down my throat in an instant. Once I am sure they're gone a look at the glass and place it on the beside table again. When my hands leave the glass to stand I look at my wife.

"Well done Peeta." she congratulates me with a slight chuckle. I chuckle before placing a hand on her cheek. I stroke the cheek using my thumb and Katniss lightly grabs my wrist.

"You okay?" I ask and Katniss nods and replies with a simple, "Yup." I nod and smile. Katniss leans in and kisses my cheek before standing up and taking hold of the glass I drank from.

"I'll be downstairs. Call me if you need me." Katniss says and leaves the room, leaving the door widely ajar. Probably so she can hear me calling her.