Chapter 9

Peeta's POV

10 days. 10 days that I have to be in this stupid hospital!
We're at day 5 now but still.
All I want to do is go home. With Katniss. I know she does too.

I try to persuade her but she wont leave the room.

I stroke the side of Katniss' hair as she lies asleep beside me. I feel at peace watching my wife sleeping in peace, all this trouble blocked out.

Katniss and I have been told that I'll be mostly 'disabled' the first week I can be at home. So the prosthetic can be comfortable since they had to change mine. Once the prosthetic is okay I have to take it easy, due to my back injury. For me that means I can't work at the bakery.

Katniss starts to stir and she lightly grabs onto my left arm. She tilts her head up, once her eyes are open, to look at me and we both smile.

"Hey." I greet her.

"Hey." She replies and I lean down to kiss her.

Our lips attach, sparks ignite then as our lips part the sparks disappear.

She looks at my chest then places her head on my chest. I wrap my arm around her as she snuggles into me.

She hold my hand and we entwine out fingers.

"I want to go out." I complain, looking at the dirty window overlooking a small part of the district.

"By you can't Peeta." Katniss sadly replies and I sigh.

A knock is made in the door and we both look up. "Come in." I announce and we find a half drunk Haymitch coming into the room.

"Well, I didn't expect to find you here after I searched your house." Haymitch jokes.

"Haymitch." Katniss whines and I chuckle.

"What's happened today bread boy?" Haymitch asks me.

"Back injury and shorter leg." I reply and shrug. Haymitch shakes his head in disappointment.

"Typical." Haymitch replies with a small smirk. I raise my eyebrows quickly and lower them with a sigh.
"Sweetheart?" Haymitch asks and snaps his fingers in front of Katniss.

"Huh?" She says, now alert.

"You want children don't you?" Haymitch says and then looks to me.

"What make you think that?" Katniss asks in a strange and unfamiliar tone.

Haymitch shrugs. "Come on answer my question already."

"No." Katniss answers so quietly I can just make it out. I frown and sadly sigh.

"I'm sorry Peeta."

"No it's okay." I reply, a little upset inside.

"I'll leave you two now. Good luck with getting better Peeta." He acknowledges me and I nod my head with a smile.

"Bye sweetheart." He farewells Katniss and she doesn't audibly reply. Haymitch leaves the room.

"I'm very very sorry Peeta." She says looking up at me, tears starting to form.

"It's okay if you're not ready. I don't know why Haymitch would bring that up anyway." I reply and kiss our entwined hands.