Chapter 28

Peeta's POV

"That cake looks great."Jason comments as I finish up on the cake that taken most of my day to make.
"The client is going to love this." Jason adds and we both smile, admiring my work.

This cake is for a pregnant wife, from what Jason tells me, who is surprising her husband with a congratulations cake. So sweet.

It's a very simple circular cake. Iced with vanilla icing. I piped iced shells onto the side and around the edge. In the middle is a star made from fresh strawberries from the Hob and 'Congratulations Daddy' written, in joint, with chocolate icing.

It is very occasional to get this type of order. When I do get one, I make the most of it.

I leave it on the bench in the kitchen and go out front to clean the tables we have for clients as they wait and eat.

Halfway through cleaning, the small chime of the bell causes me to stop wiping down the tabletop and look up. I expect to see the client to come in to collect this cake but instead Katniss steps into the bakery.

I smile when I see her and go to her before pulling her into a hug.

"Hope you would arrive here soon." I admit and chuckle.

"Well I'm here," she answers "and I need to pick up a cake that I ordered." She adds and I stare at her, confused. Katniss gives me a small smirk.

A cake? Why would she order a cake when she can just ask for one?
My thoughts slowly jumble and dance in my head as I try to identify what she means.
Suddenly it starts to click.

She is the client who ordered the cake to surprise her husband with the news that he's going to be a father.

I glance at the cake and then at Katniss multiple times. Then I realize.

That husband is me. I'm going to be a father.
My eyes grow so wide, that it starts to hurt and her smile stretches form one ear to the other.

"Hello Daddy." She says with a chuckle.

"Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" I exclaim backing away from Katniss to look at her.

My hands sit on my head and my mouth is dropped. I look at her stomach and notice a slight bump.

"You're pregnant?" I ask, so bewildered.

Katniss nods with a big beaming smile. "Yes."

I run up to her, hold her in my embrace and spin her around.

"That - thats why you've felt a little under the weather and have been sick." I comment, putting the pieces together.

"When did you find out!?"

"Last week." Katniss answers, lacing my fingers in hers. "I've been so eager to tell you but I wanted to do this little special thing for you."

I press my lips to hers and I cup her cheeks. "You're so amazing and creative." I admit as we smile and pull away.
"This is way beyond special. Thank you Kat." i thank and give her a short kiss and giving her a hug.

Jason comes up to us with a box, holding the cake. "You should go with your wife, I'll finish and lock up." I nod and man hug Jason.

"Thanks man."

"No problem." he replies and I leave with my pregnant wife with my free hand resting on her waist.

I'm going to be a father.