Chapter 26

Peeta's POV

I snake my arms around Katniss' waist from behind as we stand in the meadow.
"Happy wedding anniversary." I congratulate and then receive a loving, passionate kiss from my wife of 15 years.

"You too honey." Katniss replies and we both smile. I place my chin on her shoulder.

This day, 15 years ago, I wed my one true love. My Katniss.
I've never forgotten that day and never will.

I gaze at Katniss' left hand, held out in front of her. By the way her hand is spread out, she's admiring her rings.

Firstly, I look at her engagement ring.
The one with the pearl I gave to her and 4 small diamonds either side. The one I gave to her at the lake house that autumn afternoon.

My smile grows wider and I turn my eyes to her wedding ring I placed on her finger exactly 15 years ago.
It was very simple, after giving her a detailed one as an engagement ring, a silver band with 'together forever and always' engraved in gold.

I take Katniss' dainty hand in mine and kiss her fingers where the rings sat on her finger.

Katniss then takes my left hand and holds it in her right.
Katniss gave me a gold band with a silver 'real' engraved into it. I absolutely love it, even if it is that plain.

After looking at it for long enough, Katniss pecks my ring finger, where the ring sits.
Katniss then turns around to face me and places her hands on my cheek.

"If I ask, will I receive?" Katniss asks and we both chuckle, remembering I asked her that before we kissed as both Mellark's.

Soon, we both lean in and in seconds our lips are attached. A very long one we share.
Katniss hands leave my cheeks and her arms rest on my shoulders. My hands then slowly run up her body to her cheeks and I place my hands on them. We separate for a second before reconnecting our lips.

I close my eyes and take all these sparks and the fire raging through my body in. As we kiss, I stroke both of Katniss' cheeks with my thumbs.

At that time we end the kiss and rest both our foreheads together. I open my eyes and look into her grey orbs, taking in the wonderful sight.

"You want to go to the swing?" I suggest.

"Yeah." She replies. I give her a quick kiss as we entwine our fingers and head for the woods tree line.

I placed the swing I surprised Katniss with 15 years ago in a weeping willow tree that sits on the woods edge.

Soon we reach the tree and I pull Katniss towards the swing seat.

I place myself on it and reposition myself on the wooden plank before Katniss sits on top of me.
Facing me, her legs wrapping around my lower back and her arms around my neck.
We rest our foreheads against each others again and with my foot, I start gently swinging us.

"I love you Kat. You know that right?" I comment.

"I know oh so well sweetie. You can never stop saying that because you always make it the truth." Katniss replies and I smile.
"Oh. I forgot to tell you earlier. Happy anniversary and I will always love you no matter what." Katniss adds.

"Together?" I ask her, looking into her eyes.

"Together."