Chapter 40

Katniss' POV

"Okay, let's lie you down and I'll get the equipment." Adriana says as I sit on the bed.
Adriana exists the room and Peeta brings a chair over.

I get ready to lie down and Peeta places a hand on my back to support me.
I slowly and carefully lie down. I rest my head on the small pillow and stare at the white ceiling.

Peeta's hand slips away from underneath me and goes to grasp my hand.
"If I'm right I want 3 kisses from you." I demand and look at my husband who is really eager to find out the gender.

"Okay if I'm right I want 3 kisses from you." Peeta says and I nod, accepting this 'challenge'.

The whole ride here, we basically debated about who was going to be right about the gender.

Adriana comes in with the machine and sets it up. "Okay, Katniss. Your shirt."
I lift up my shirt and place it at the top of my stomach. Adriana then places the cold blue gel on which brings goosebumps.

Peeta strokes my arm when he must notice the goosebumps.

"Is it supposed to always be cold?" I ask Adriana with a slight chuckle.

Adriana just nods with a smile. Once done she sits down. "Okay, here we go."

Adriana places the wand on my stomach and I turn my attention to the machine screen. I gasp when I see my child on it.

"Peeta look!" I quietly exclaim and squeeze my husbands hand.

"Yeah." he says and strokes his fingers on the side of my stomach. At the touch our baby starts kicking and Adriana points to its feet kicking on the screen.

"This little one is a kicker alright." Adriana comments with a chuckle.

"If you don't mind stopping Peeta, I can find out the gender if you want to know." Adriana says and Peeta immediately stops and we nod enthusiastically.

"We've got some eager people in this room." Adriana comments and smiles. Her face becomes serious as she moves the wand around my stomach, deciphering the gender.

"Here we go honey." Peeta whispers to me and place his other hand on top of our entwined ones.

Adriana soon nods with a smile on her face. "You guys have a healthy baby.." Adriana pauses for effect.

"Girl!"

She exclaims and Peeta and my mouth drops. I look at Peeta and see the biggest smile on his face.

"I was right." Peeta comments and kisses me. "A girl." He says to get the realization in.

"I'll get a picture printed off for you?" Adriana asks and I nod.
She presses a button and goes to a cupboard, bring paper towels.

"She's finished now." Adriana says. "I'll be a minute." She adds and exits the room. I sit up and Peeta begins to wipe off the gel on my stomach, ever so gently.

"It's a girl Peeta." I comment and he nods, still holding a big smile.
Once he's finished, I lift down my top and wait for Peeta to come back.

He picks me up and spins me in the air, where I let out a happy laugh.
He lowers me, so I stand, and I cup his face in my hands.
I gives him a short kiss and break away smiling before giving him 2 more. What he asked for.

Then Peeta takes over, giving me many short kisses. I wrap my arms around his neck but we soon get interrupted by Adriana.

I turn around, a little embarrassed. She hands me the photo and I smile.

"4 weeks then?" Peeta asks, moving his hand to mine and entering our fingers.

"Yes." Adriana replies with a nod.

"Thank you so much Adriana." I thank and so does Peeta before we exit the room.

We head to the main reception and Peeta whispers in my ear. "We should tell him."
I nod, knowing he means

Haymitch.