Chapter 3

Peeta's POV

Katniss and I lie on the wooden floor of the lake house that night.
Blankets lying underneath and on top of us. We set out many lit candles around us, lighting up the dark room around us.

In each others embrace we stare up at the window above, gazing at the star filled sky.

"I'm so glad we are married." Katniss states admiring her rings.

The wedding ring I gave her yesterday afternoon was a simple silver band, matching her engagement ring she still wears, and engraved in gold is our words.

Together, Forver and Always.

I smile at her and kiss her head.

"I still can't believe it." I reply. There seems to be a wall in my brain keeping out the realization of my engagement and wedding yesterday. Just saying it makes me think it's only a dream.

"Well, you'll have to believe it soon." Katniss chuckles and holds my hand, lying on my chest.

"Yeah, I know. But my mind doesn't want me to." I let out a small laugh.

We stay quiet for a little while longer. No actual conversation taking place.
After a while Katniss sits up and stares into the distance.

"You okay?" I ask rubbing her back.

"Yeah." She mutters. I sit up as well, worried for her.

"Are you sure? I don't think you are." I wrap my left arm around her and pull Katniss closer to me.

"None of our loved ones were there yesterday." Katniss starts sobbing. I hug my wife and she clutches onto my shirt.

"They were there. We just couldn't see them." Katniss slightly nods. I silently sigh. "Hey, hey. At least Haymitch and Effie were there. They're the closet we have to family now."

"Yeah, but I mean no blood related loved ones." Katniss replies.

"But you know what?"

"What?" Katniss asks me, trying to control her crying.

"They probably all will be celebrating wherever they are."

"You think?" Katniss says, lifting her head up to meet my eyes. I nod at her in reply and sadly smile at her. Katniss gives me a small smile and wipes her cheeks.

I stand up and takes Katniss' dainty hands in mine.
I help her to her feet and lead her outside.

Even though it's dark out and a little chilly, we take a stroll around the lake. Silently.

So we can be overcome the emotion the unlucky memories of the past make and try to discover the lucky memories we are and will have.