Chapter 25

Katniss' POV

14 years, going on 15 in a couple of weeks. That how long I have chosen for Peeta to stay with me for eternity, me with him.

I inhale a deep breath as I reach the bottom of the stairs. Here goes nothing.
I lead myself into the kitchen, where Peeta sits drinking a cup of tea. Without the sugar. I smile at the memory of when I told him he never took sugar and he looks up at me.

"Hey." He greets me, a little surprised.

I sadly wipe the smile off my face and return to being serious. I sit down in the chair next to my husband and gently place my hand over his clenched one, resting on the table top.

"Peeta. We need to talk." I start.

"If it's about kids I don't want to hear it." Peeta answers and leaves me alone in the kitchen.
I exhale the deep breath I didn't know I was holding. Then I register Peeta isn't here now and follow on out.

I find him staring, arms crossed, by the window in the living room.
"Peeta." I say but Peeta interrupts me.

"I said I don't want to hear it." he repeats, still facing the window.

"What if it's different?" I ask, a bit to fast. Peeta stiffens before turning to face me.

"D -did you say different?" He questions me, making sure he heard me right.

I nod and he walks over to me. He places my head in his hands and kisses me.

"I'm sorry." He apologises after breaking the kiss.

"It's okay." I murmur in reply and he leads me to sit on the couch.
I take my seat and Peeta sits in front of me on the ground, taking my hands in his.

"Now what do you want to tell me?" He starts the conversation again and I take another deep breath. I notice Peeta starts tensing up.

"It's okay. Don't worry. No need to tense." I coo and the tension disappears.
I close my eyes and open them again before talking. "I'm ready." I answer and I look at him right in my eyes. He seems confused.

"Ready for what?" Peeta says and gives me a confused look.

"You know.... What you've been asking me about the last 14 years." Peeta looks away then back at me.

"K - kids?" I nod in response before adding.

"I'm ready."

Peeta soon registers it and gives me a big proud smile.

"Really!?" I nod again with a smile on my face and Peeta kisses me. Afterwards he picks my up and brings me into a tight hug.

"Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! I can become a father!!" Peeta exclaims before kissing me again. It suddenly turns aggressive and it takes me by surprise.

It takes me a minutes to work out whats happening.
Peeta holds me in his embrace and heads upstairs.

"What are you doing Peeta?" I ask, just to clarify that my theory is right.

"We're going to give it a go." Peeta answers me before dumping me on the bed.

I land on my back and watch as Peeta looms over the top of me.

His lips soon crash onto mine and the feeling and experience I never thought I would feel and participate in,

makes

itself

known.