Chapter 16

Katniss' POV

The next evening we are just sitting at the kitchen table, doing absolutely nothing. Being silent.
Deciding by my thoughts I choose to start up a conversation.

"Hey Peeta?" I ask him, looking up from the wooden table top.

"Mhmn." Peeta replied, tearing his gaze away from wherever he was looking and looked into my eyes.

Say something!! First thing on your mind??

"What kept you from not thinking I was a mutt while Snow was trying to hijack you?" Dang it! Why did I say that, he's bound to get an attack now.
Peeta stays silent for a couple of minutes. Slowly starting to make me anxious.

"Peeta?" I grab onto his clenched hand that rested on the table by itself.

"You." he replied simply and calmly. "While Snow showing me the 'real' Katniss, at first, all I thought about you and how beautiful you are."

"Peeta, you know I'm not beautiful." I retort. How can he even deserve me? I'm stubborn and basically broken.

"No you are so beautiful. Anyway even though I would break down in sadness and confusion, you kept me going. Until, until I couldn't take it any longer, my picture and thoughts of you were converted. Reversed and removed."

Tears start to flow down my cheeks as he finishes his sentence.
"It should have been me!" I cry out and lay my head on my arms.

"No. No Katniss." I hear the chair screech against the tile floor below us and hear his loud footsteps get closer to me.

"Yes it should have." I retort back to him and feel Peeta's hand making stroking patterns on my arm and back.

"I love you, you know that, and we wouldn't be here if I wasn't hijacked." I lift my head to meet Peeta's eyes.
Concern fills up in his eyes. Making me feel weak around him, so I must stay strong.
I sit up in my seat and sniffle. Wiping my eyes with my sleeve, I try to look okay but this doesn't convince him.

"Don't try to be strong for me. It's okay. Its okay to be sad." After these words, I slowly return to my normal state.

"You okay now?" I nod and Peeta kisses my forehead before retreating to his seat. Once seated he grasps my hand, letting me know that he is here for me.

We give each other sad smiles and I soon set my gaze upon the outside world. Beyond the glass window pane. Beyond the house walls.