Chapter 22

Katniss' POV

"Peeta, do you want to stay at the lake house for a couple of days?" I ask as his sobbing lessens.
He nods into my hair without a word.

"You want to go now?" I question him and he nods again.
"Okay. Let's get up then." I answer, starting to get up from my position.

"No!" Peeta exclaims. "I'm too scared to look at you."

I sadly sigh before replying. "I'm okay. You didn't hurt me a lot." Peeta shakes his head.
I place my hand on his chin and lean his head up. His eyes closed.

"It's okay Peeta." I reassure but he isn't convinced.

"Peeta." I say slightly angry. "Peeta!" I exclaim and he opens his eyes.

When he sees me, sobbing begins again.

"Please Peeta. Don't cry." I say, calmly once again. I stroke his cheek as the crying begins again.
I kneel in front of him and sadly watch Peeta break down.

I kiss one of his cheeks softly and bury my head into his shoulder. I place a free hand on the back of his neck and Peeta wraps his arms around me. He places me on his lap as tries to find comfort with my presence.

"Hey, hey, hey. Sssshh." I comfort in a hopefully soothing tone.

"Make these attacks stop!" Peeta pleads and I begin to feel so sorry for my husband. I don't reply in words but I entwine my fingers with his.

I lift my head and so does Peeta. We look into each others eyes and I wipe away the wet cheeks and falling tears on my loves face.

I sadly smile and he does in reply before kissing me.

When our lips separate I stand up and help Peeta do so too.

In a matter of minutes, we start packing.

Peeta makes his way into the bathroom and shuts the door. My chance.
I walk up to and look into the full body mirror. I see my red, bruised areas. No wonder Peeta was scared.

Tears start falling down my cheeks and I force my eyes to tear away from that view and decide to sit down on the bed.

Peeta comes out minutes later. "It's all my fault Peeta." I admit.

"No it isn't." Peeta reassures me. But it is, I caused Snow to hurt him. Peeta comes to me and strokes my back in circles.

Once I'm calm again, Peeta kisses my head and retrieves the packed bags and we he'd together to the lake house,