Chapter 31

Katniss' POV

A searing pain shoots up my back and I try to stand up from the couch. I close my eyes and let out a small whimper. Not again.

"Peeta." I say and Peeta must come in and see me.

"Kat. What's wrong?"

"My back hurts." I complain and start crying. What? I was fine and happy minutes ago.

"Oh Kat. Let me help you." Peeta suggests and he hugs me. I bury my head into his shoulder.
Peeta rubs my back with one hand and rests his other on my now slightly showing bump.

After a short time, my crying stops and Peeta kisses my head and continues to rub my back.

"Your back getting better?" Peeta asks me and I nod slowly.

"Good. I'll keep going for a bit longer." I nod again in reply.

I just lie my head on Peeta's shoulder, taking in his comfort.
"Do you want to take a guess Peeta?" I ask him.

"Gender?"

"Yeah." I say.

"I'm guessing slash want a girl." Peeta answers. "Why? I want a mini Katniss running around the house on small chubby legs."

I get the motivation to kiss Peeta on the cheek and I choose to. Peeta smiles after the gesture and I do too.

"Well you're getting a boy so put up with it." I say.

Peeta stops and looks at me shocked and confused.
"Peeta. I don't know the gender. I want a boy." I reassure him and he looks at me relieved.

"I thought you had found out." Peeta comments.

"No. I wouldn't find out without you. Besides I might find out in 2 months. If we agree to finding out that is." I address and Peeta nods.

Peeta places his other hand on my bump and leans down.

"Hey in there. It's daddy here. Your mum and I were wondering if you would be a boy or girl. Please be a girl." I chuckle as Peeta talks to our unborn child.
"We love you both very much already." Peeta finishes and look up at me. "I also love my wife very much who is carrying my child." I smile and feel tears starting to build up.

Peeta kisses me and puts me into a hug. I close my eyes and let the tears fall silently.

"I love you so much Peeta."

"I love you too Kat. Always."

"Always." I add as fall asleep in his embrace. Thinking about our child.

Our child.