Chapter 33

Katniss' POV

I gasp when I see the sight in front of me. I get even more frightened when I see Haymitch unconscious on the floor.

"Katniss." I hear Peeta as behind me but I don't reply.
"Katn-" I hear his foot steps come to me and he stops.

I look back to Peeta and see him in total panic.

I slowly walk to Haymitch and kneel down beside him. "Careful Kat." Peeta warns, not moving from his spot.
I place my head to his heart, making sure he's alive. A slow and quiet beat is all I hear.

"Haymitch." I say and place his head on my lap.
"Haymitch!" I shout and tears start flowing. Haymitch opens his eyes and looks into mine.

"Peeta." I command and my husband comes to kneel beside me.

"It's okay." Haymitch says, his voice hoarse. He's losing.

"Haymitch." I murmur, my voice cracking.

"We came to give you some good news." Peeta starts and I look at him. We're going to tell him.

"You're going to be a grandfather." I finish with a sad smile. Haymitch smiles to the best of his ability and a tear falls down his cheek.
I wipe it away with my thumb.

"Thank you so much Haymitch. For all you've done." Peeta thanks and pats Haymitch's leg.

"Take care - of yourselves." Haymitch tells us and Peeta and I nod.

"We will." I answer. "We love you." I add and Haymitch gives us a small smile.

"I love you guys too." Haymitch says, losing his voice.

I look to Peeta and he nods.

I turn back to Haymitch. "You can - let - go." I tell him and start sobbing. Peeta sits closer to me and we watch slowly as Haymitch's eyes glass over.

That's when we lose it. We both burst into a loud crying mess and hug.
Our mentor. The one that has been with us since the reaping 18 years ago has gone. Alcohol taking him.
Our second father has slipped away from our reach.

I tighten my grip on Peeta's shirt and I feel tears from Peeta falling into my hair.
Like I have a care about that right now. Haymitch Abernathy of District 12 just died.

"Oh my gosh." I exclaim. No love ones exist now on this earth.
Effie is just a close friend. We haven't seen her since our interview in the Capitol a couple of years ago.

I loom my eyes back to the still Haymitch on my lap but it only brings more tears. I quickly tear my eyes away again and bury my head into Peeta's shoulder.
He's having a hard time taking this in as well.

I turn to Haymitch and kiss his cheek before Peeta places him on the closest couch. I go up to him and close Haymitch's eyes.

Peeta grasps my hand and we head out of his home.
I look to Peeta and he looks at me, still crying.

Eyes red and blotchy. Red and tear stained faces.

We enter our home, taking off our shoes and heading straight to our bedroom.
We lie in each others embrace on our bed. Eyes closed and letting the tears spill till there is none left to shed.

Peeta and I know, Haymitch will now appear in our nightmares tonight.