Chapter 66

My parents quickly rush out of the room to search for the things he needs. I don’t even think I am mentally old enough to witness my step sisters birth? How am I going to stay here listening to her screams and grunts waiting for my parents to come back. I slowly look down to her to see her chest heaving with her hand over her eyes just breathing carefully and thoroughly until her breathing quickens whimpering like a child. Her face cringes before her head darts up to her chest as she begins to push without the say to.

Veil looks frightened just staring at her until she relaxes slightly to breathe before she arches her back like an upside-down cat pushing as hard as she can while screaming. My hand feels like its being suffocated from lack of blood to it. “Don’t push yet Megan just hold on.”

“Don’t tell me…when to push….its my body and its screaming at me…to!” She pants before she does it yet again, her boyfriend looks terribly uncomfortable yet upset probably because he should be the one that is supposed to be here watching her do this, coaxing her through this. The pain in her face along with exhaustion is killing me. My whole body is so depressed seeing her like this yet I don’t know why, I feel like we have such a connection to each other I just cant do this. I rip my hand free and she just stares at me terrified like I just threatened her with a knife. “I need your hand.” She pants but I only shake my head backing away slowly towards the door and my parents rush in with multiple blankets and equipment. Why haven’t they called an ambulance? My heart twinges with pain seeing her stare at me with frustration and betrayal. “Belle I need your help, I cant do this! Please just let me use your hand?” Her eyes dart open as she lets a scream of pain using the bed to squeeze pushing to her hearts content.

I cant be her rock, I am too young to be. No! My hands dart to my ears while I run out of the room down to one that I feel comfortable and start screaming myself, I slide down the wall into a comfortable ball, I hate this feeling, everyone relies on me but I still rely on my mother for everything, I cant do this. I woke up eighteen, married, and pregnant. Then my stepsister goes into labor and the subject still makes me queasy in school, but now she relies on me to be there for her to talk her through it but I just cant. I cant even do that for myself. The tears flow down my face while I continue to scream until someone grabs my wrists hard shaking me to make me open my eyes to stare at them. Its Cane, he is sitting in front of me with alarm in his eyes and he is frantic. Apart of me wants to kiss him and hold him tight but the other wants me to keep screaming in fear. So that wins, I continue to scream and scurry away from him, he only looks more frantic. My tears flow faster down my face, I try to drown out Megans screams but I can hear them still, ingrained in my mind. 

Cane tries coming near me again but I only scoot farther away tucked up in a tight ball while my body trembles. My mind keeps repeating that I am twelve, raised in Reno, I go to Carter Middle School, and my dad just got thrown in jail. How can I wake up on vacation in a strange place and my ‘step sister’ go into labor and they not take her anywhere? Cane tries to grab hold of me again but I am too quick darting to my feet and running out of the room with my ears still plugged and glancing in my sisters room seeing her still push with everyone surrounding her, I race forwards removing my hands to help me get better distance. His voice trail all the way to mine calling me to come back and to slow down so we can talk. His footsteps are very loud and I race up the stairs loosing him long enough to catch my breath and to try to calm my panic when suddenly Tommy and Jess appear around the corner laughing until they see me. Their faces are concern and alarm and I take a few steps back away from them. Tommy reaches his long arm out for me but I flinch back sending me falling down the hard metal stairs. My head whams against everything while I just protect my baby all the way down. I hear Tommy scream until I am at the bottom laying on my side feeling incredibly dizzy drowning out everything until my vision becomes black.