Chapter 16

Caine smashes his lips to Belle’s and she cowers seeing his tongue roam around her mouth. I watch her jaw close hard and he backs away shoving her with great force into the pool. I jump onto Caine from the top of my post punching him. I was in too much of a shock to do anything while he kissed her but now I can act. I go crazy and he can barely manage to slap me. More staff run up to us separating us.

“Belle are you okay?” I puff using up all my energy. When I don’t hear a response I look around the pool area and she isn’t up here. My eyes wander to a figure under the water and I panic wiggling out of their graps diving deep into the twelve foot pool. Before I can scoop her up I watch her eyes slowly close and I quickly grab her and swim to the surface swimming towards the edge. Everyone is out of the pool surrounding the edge while Garet and Daniels lift her out of the pool and lay her down gently. They then help me out and I charge to her side. I place my head on the top of her chest and hear a faint heart beet but its sloshy in there. She inhailed down there. I tilt her head up and start CPR without the rescue breath because those are pointless.

I pound hard but to the right beat of ‘Staying Alive.’ “Come on Belle don’t leave me.” I grunt, my arms are getting weak and my breathing has quickened until she coughs and water spills out of her mouth. I spin her over on her side so she doesn’t choke. Water just keeps coming out until its just a raspy cough. Thank God she didn’t turn. That was a close one.

                                                #####

My heart beats faster and stronger and air tries to make its way into my full lungs but ifs pushed out as I cough up water. Cane turns me on my side and I cough and cough up the water. Soon it stops as I just lay on my side panting, what just happened? Cane slowly pulls me up into his arms and he shakes with worry I can tell. My chest is very sore and it aches. “That was too close. Why didn’t you swim? Were you trying to die?” His tone becomes serious and he is frustrated.

“So you think because someone doesn’t know how to swim you can make assumptions that they are trying to die? Why would I want to die in the first place? I just cant believe you.” I wiggle out of his grasp and grab my things.

“Why are you getting mad at me?”

“Oh I don’t know because you just watched as Caine kissed me and let him push me into this ridiculously deep pool! Now you think I was trying to die and I don’t understand why by the way! Just leave me alone.” His hand grabs mine and the councilors continue to stare at us. “Let go Cane.” It comes out as a sneer other than a whisper.

“No, I am sorry I made assumptions but you cant keep pushing people away just because you get mad. I am here for you and I love you. We are in this together and you cant push me away.”

“Well maybe that is me! Because my life is so messed up all I know is how to push people away. I am scared terribly right now, I am seventeen, pregnant, married through nature, and the outside world is a nightmare. How could I not run away from all of this?”

“Your life isn’t the only messed up one. When I was fourteen my teacher drugged me at a science fair. Pulled me into her classroom and raped me. I don’t know how she did it but she did. I never turned her in because she told me the next day if I told a soul she knew people that could kill me and make it look like an accident. My dad killed my mom and siblings while they were sleeping while I was at a friends house. Hoping I was there too but when he saw me in court he went nuts trying to kill me with something. My last girlfriend was my fathers new wife and was trying to finish his dirty work. I could go on and on.” Tears stream down his face as he finally admits to himself that all those things happened to him. “Everyone has a story Belle, we all have it to an extent and we are not going to compare lives that don’t exist anymore. There is no possible way that there is any living life out there. For all we know we are the last ones. That is why I want to do everything I can to keep you safe, keep you close.” The things he just told me are unbelievable that someone would do that. I take a few steps back out of his grasp and people all around have stopped to stare at us. “Don’t tell me you hate me now because I have a story too?”

“I am not alone.” Those words escape my mouth in a whisper. After all these years I thought I was alone and now I have finally found someone. Why am I thinking I can do everything by myself when I really have him. I leap into his arms and he is taken aback for a moment then her holds me close. “We keep finding each other.”

“We were never lost.”

“I am always lost.” He lets go and he hands off his shift and we walk back to the cabin and I change.

“Do you want to go and do something else?”

“What else is there?”

“Zip lining? Horse back riding? Shooting airsoft guns? Rock climbing?”

“The only thing I think would be safe is shooting airsoft guns but doesn’t sound attract those things out there?”

“But they are out there and we are in here.”

“Still my mom said that they are smart and strong yet dumb and weak or something. What if they helped each other climb over the wall? Then what? You all need to save your amo if that really happens and we need to be careful of sound, it actually carries out here.”

“But how would the other things not be safe?”

“The harnesses could do something I don’t know I remember reading about it somewhere before we left and horseback riding causes more bleeding and its not safe.”

“Then you are just going to have to wait till he comes.” He makes and emphasis on he.