Chapter 29

The acceleration of the vehicle I am startles me to a sitting position and I am sitting on Canes lap in the front seat. I rub my eyes still feel very tired and my contacts are dry. I need my glasses. “Cane slow down you are going to get us a ticket.” I slump back against his chest and look out of the window and realize that I just embarrassed myself. The guys in the car chuckle for a bit and turn on the CD. “Sorry.” I whisper holding onto Cane for dear life. This is a horrible night mare. Why does this have to be happening?

“Try to get some more rest.”

“I cant, and what? Why are we not in the house? How did you get here? How did I get here?” I am very big on his lap and am probably hard to hold and steer at the same time.

“We got a call from our boss and noticed you were missing so we came and got you. Your buddies are right behind us.”

“This isn’t the way to my house though.” I look around and it says ‘Leaving Nevada’.

“I know, we cant take you there, it isn’t safe out here for you. So lets get home and we can talk okay? Veil said something happened to you while you were there. Do you want to talk about it now?” I look around the car and all the guys are awake and I can tell they are listening but they are looking out of the windows.

“Uh…no.” I can feel my depression medicine wearing off as well as the loss of my baby. I guess I was in denial and didn’t believe it was happening but now that Cane is here its more real. I lean up against him and get into a better ball that I can without hurting him or taking up too much space.

“Did something happen with zombies? Or did the group hurt you?”

“Yeah something happened with the zombies, Veil didn’t hurt me, and he was sweet. Something happened to the baby and I don’t want to talk about it right now.” It sounds as if he has stopped breathing, his heart is beating faster and he is shaking a bit but I can hardly feel his chest moving. Tears fill my eyes, he is going to hate me now because I lost one of the babies. He didn’t know but that is what he thinks and I know it. My cheeks start wetting and become hot from the tears I have started shedding. Cane takes one of his arms off the steering wheel and wraps it around my fragile and broken body. This is going to be one long drive home. Or maybe not because the sun is starting to come up and the zombies have gotten off this side of the freeway to possibly go and find some animals.

“We have two hours left, we should get some food and water.” 

“We will make it guys nothing to worry about, look they are clearing up everything will be fine.” His voice is soft and reassuring to me, it sends chills through my body. I just cant wait to go home and cuddle up in my bed at camp. My new home.

My favorite song comes on and suddenly my heart flutters. Everything will be okay. “Cane can you turn up the music?” My words are just a slight whisper only he could have heard it. A chuckle erupts from his chest as I feel his muscles move to turn up the music. Its Rude by Magic! Too bad they had to die, they were really good.

“Are you going to sing for me?” He taunts kissing my head, his lips are so warm. The tingles rise all up my body, I feel so safe and protected out here.

“No.”

“Why not babe, I want to hear you sing.”

“You can hear me sing in six months or less when I sing to our baby. Other than that no. I would scare those things away.”

“Well that’s good, come on sing it for me.”

“No.” I kiss his chin and continue listening  to the song in peace. I place my hand on my stomach and stroke it. ‘Why you gotta be so rude.’  I take a quick glance at the road and see its pretty cleared up but the signs of nature giving up on being nice is clear. Half eaten animals all over the roads, fallen leaves and cracked roads from roots of plants peeping through. “Why does nature have to be so rude?”

“Mother nature has her own mind, she is probably tired of being nice to us since we trashed her hard work. So she is trashing ours, the humans we have created.” Danny says bluntly, I guess he is tired of this drive. That’s kind of rude himself. He looks at Cane and my faces. Mine is in utter awe that he would say that. “Sorry.”

“Cane I have to pee but I am scared to.” I like really have to pee, like really bad.

“Okay I will get off here and we can go get the stuff we need and you can go to the bathroom.” It feels like I haven’t peed in six days and drank a gallon of water every hour for those days. I start doing to pee pee dance in his lap.

“Oh my God Cane I am going to pee myself.” Ahhh! “Just let me out right here! I am going to pee myself.” I slam on the breaks for him. “Hurry go check it out, make it safe I really have to pee, go hurry.” I put it in park and he groans in frustration. All the guys get out and their walkies are going crazy. They clear the entire area and Cane escorts me into some brush. I quickly go pee and it feels so good.

“I sure hope this is worth pulling over the car yourself?”

“Yup!” I finish going to the bathroom and quickly stand up when I see a zombie right behind him. “Cane!” I scream, he turns around just in time for the zombie to tackle him to the ground. Some people come running and when they see what is going on they immediately attack it. My hearth is racing again, my whole body is shaking. I feel like my air is being ripped right out of me. My ears are ringing and my world is suddenly becoming dizzy. They attack it and it suddenly stops trying to kill him. My adrenaline spikes causing my whole body to become jittery. They haul Cane up laughing and brushing him off.

“Belle?” My body collapses onto the dry desert floor unconscious.