Chapter 28

Veil POV

“We can call for back up.” I just speak what is coming to my mind and grab my walkie and whisper loudly in it. No one is going to make it in time but at least I tried. “Help some one please. We are all here with Belle, we are trapped in an old home and its about to cave on us. We don’t know where we are but we need back up. Maybe two hundred zombies outside tearing this house apart. If any of you can hear me and you are awake please come an help us.” I sent it through all  of our walkies so who ever is listening can come and help us. “We were headed to Reno, about fifty miles away from there.” I am so frantic trying to keep the zombies out from the floor and the side walls. We all wait anxiously for the answer. “Guys go get any tool you can find. Hurry I got the floor for now.” They all scurry and quickly shove down all the boards trying hard to get them all. Its like an extreme game of twister.

“Veil? Do you copy?” The boys run back with semi useful things. I got an answer oh God please help us.

“Yes, yes I do.”

“This is Cane, we are coming, just describe what it looks like around you so we know where to go.” Holy shit he is going to kill me.

“Uh, I cant tell, we are complety surrounded. I just don’t know, its like a farm house, just probably follow the direction of the zombies.”

“A farm house in Nevada, that is interesting.”

“Cane I am so sorry, we have her safe for now, please just hurry, she is in no position to wake up or stress about this. Cane they are coming through the floor boards and about to crush the house.”

“Just let yourself feel scared, don’t try and be tough, when you are scared you are capable of making more rational and safe decisions.” A board off of the window comes crashing down. One zombie sticks his head through the hole. Oh shit they are coming for us, they are going to get in and we are all going to die. I look over to the terrified guys and look for something to use. I grab a chair and rip off the legs, they are sharp enough. I slowly make my way to the broken window and watch at a dangerous distance of the zombies  trying to get in, reaching for me with their decaying and half eaten skin.

I take in one last breath and stab that one in the head. It only paralyzes them so it’s not a threat. It slumps down out of the window and more replace it. I don’t try to aim for their chest because their mouths are right under it. I at least get four when the floor boards are being forced up by something stronger. They guys stand on them but they too are being forced up. A loud siren goes off along with yelling. “Come on! Come get us you sons a’ bitches! Come on come get dinner!” I hear Cane’s group make a ruckus on their car making as much noise as they can to draw them away from the house. I watch as they all turn their direction slowly to Cane’s group and make their way over there. All in one giant herd type of thing.

The big one or something gives up and we watch as all of them slowly make their way towards the flashing disco hummer. They are not thinking this through, which is far more dangerous than being stuck in this house. Without hesitating I quickly grab Belle in one scoop without waking her and rush to the door waiting for the clear. “Guys any day now.” I whisper to the walkie not pressing it to talk to them.

“Veil what do we do about this?”

“Leave it, don’t bother with it, its too dangerous to bring with us.” They all run next to me weapons drawn and ready to fight. My whole body is trembling with fear; a cold sweat has appeared on my skin making it hard to hold Belle.

“Clear, there are some stragglers but you need to hurry and get your asses out of there. Don’t forget to jump in your cars don’t walk up to them, they might be hiding under there.” Once I hear clear I start quietly un boarding the door to the best of my ability and run to the car. They guys jump ahead of me killing the stragglers. Its pitch dark out here and I cant see a damn thing.  “We are coming back to give you light and take Belle.” Five seconds later Cane opens the back door to his car and quickly takes her no questions asked. I quickly pull the keys out of my pocket and unlock the car. I lean over to the car so my legs are safe and open my door. I jump in and close and lock my door.

“Carl, James, Drake hurry up lets go.” I fumble to put the key in the ignition and continue to miss with my trembles. I look all around and find them fighting them off slowly making their way to the car. “Just leave them, come on!” They stop with the zombie slaying and quickly jump into the car. I lock all the doors and finally slam the key in the ignition and spin out of here. “You guys okay? Any one bit?” Everyone checks themselves silently, aside from their huffing and puffing.

“Clear.” Drake pants leaning back in his seat exhausted.

“Clear.” Carl wheezes, I take it this is the most exercise they have done in their entire lives.

“I cant see.” I turn on all lights and look at him through the review mirror. He has tears flowing down his face, but his tears are not tears, they are blood. His eyes are bloody red, his eye color has turned an ugly color of yellow. Oh my God.

“I have a situation.” We make it out onto the freeway and I see their car back up to us. I watch as James runs a trembling hand through his hair. He brings his hand down showing his hair is falling out. In huge chunks too. I slightly roll down my window to them.

“What is it? Is someone in your car bit?” Danny asks peeking through his window.

“Yeah, James.” I cautiously look back to him and see he is panicking. His breathing is becoming shorter and faster and the look in his eyes that death is about to happen for him is depressing.

“Get him out of the car, now!” Without hesitation he opens the door and now I see where he was bit. A giant hole, drenched in blood, is so noticeable on the back of his thigh. He takes a gun.

“I am going to need a bit of back up.” His words are hard to understand through the last phases of his transition. We should have protected him more, he should have been the driver, and this is my entire fault. Tears fill my eyes, he was a good kid, only sixteen. He should have to have done that alone. I can’t believe all the things I thought and said about him. He was the most funniest, reliable sixteen year old there was. More blood tears stream down his eyes. “One…two…three.” At the last count he shoves the stool leg up his head and a gunshot fills the air. My whole body jumps and watches as his body slowly falls to the ground dead. Carl picks him up and puts him in the car for a proper burial. Carl slams the door and we continue driving.

“What are we going to do about Belle? The whole reason we are out here is for her. She wanted something from home and we just don’t know what. And in about an hour I am going to need to fill up on gas.” We drive by five other hummers as they pull up behind us. We could have used all those men. No one had to die!

“We are going back to camp, she is going to give us her address and the things she needs and we will get it for her. She is never to come out here again. It is far too dangerous.” We all drive the rest of the way in silence. It smells like crap in here, his blood is already decaying. The zombies have swarmed on the streets and its kind of hard to drive safely like that. The zombies all slowly look at us before we run them over. Boss is going to be so mad that we are denting his babies.

The ding of the low gas tank fills my ears. The zombies are becoming more active with our lights and I really need gas. Oh God this night is getting pretty shitty. “Cane, I am almost empty I need gas now.” All the guys in my car are sleeping and unaware scaring me even more that I am going to have to fend off zombies with half asleep guys. We do not need one more dead guy.

“We have gas, just hold on there for one more second.” I catch a glance from Cane and he looks pissed but terrified. Why is he scared? The freeway lights flicker and buzz, the bugs still smack on the car viciously from all the dead bodies there has been so many bugs, its disgusting.

“Cane what is wrong?”

“Nothing, just try to hold on there for a bit longer even if that means flooring it as fast as you can out of this herd. Do it. We will catch up with you and you will have a team fill it up.” With that I floor it all the way out of our group. The zombies smack up against the car like crazy. I can feel the car being dent and I know for a fact that boss is going to kill me. I get into a far clearing and the group is right behind me so I trip open the gas tank while the guys run around protecting the car and the others while they just about fill my tank. They half way fill it and in about five hours I am going to need to fill it again. They slam it shut and hurry back into their cars. The stragglers start attacking my car and I head back out again. God our new lifes definitely suck now.