Chapter 20

“Do you even know what caused this?”

“Scientists don’t even know. They think it’s a kind of rabies or something but I don’t believe it. I saw another person eat a child. We shouldn’t talk about things like that though.”

“Cane? Why did you have sex with me on the first day we met? I know it wasn’t love at first sight because those things don’t happen but why?”

“Maybe for you love at first sight doesn’t happen but for me that’s a different story. Right when I saw you I knew you were the one for me. Anyways when those gates closed I knew I could have you because we would be stuck together for the rest of our lives.” We walk up to a big house looking thing and we walk right in. The place is thrashed other than a small portion of the room. He places me down on the nice clean bed and he gets in beside me. His hand trails my stomach drawing on it with his finger. “You have no idea how excited I am to have a baby. I cant wait to hold him and teach him how to swim and ride horses. I just cant wait to meet him.”

“What should we call him if it’s a boy?” I twirl with his hair and he sinks down onto a pillow so his face is near my belly and he kisses it.

“I don’t know, I wish we had a book or something to find good names.”

“What about Benny?”

“Its good  but it’s a nick name for Ben. I don’t like the name Ben.”

“Price?”

“Price for what? I don’t have any money.” He jokes lifting up my shirt and places his hand directly on it.

“You jack ass.”

“I know that’s what I live for.”

“Maybe before we start on kids names we should get to know each other first, like how old are you?”

“I turn twenty in December.” My mouth falls open in a gaping hole. He is so old. I must have been silent for a while cause he looks up to me and laughs. “What’s that face for?”

“Nothing. You know my age yeah? Good. What is your favorite food?”

“Caviar, it looks and smells really bad but its so appealing. I would take you to get some but no one can make the food anymore haha.” I give one chuckle to cause my belly to jump. “What is yours?”

“I don’t have a favorite food, I really like to eat anything, I have a favorite dessert? Does that count?”

“Well sure, yeah.”

“Pudding.”

“Pudding? That could be a favorite food! You eat the pudding cups in your school lunches.”

“I like to crunch up Oreo tops and sprinkle it in side of it. It is so wonderful!” My stomach grumbles just on the simple thought of it.

“Why not cheese cake? That stuff is pretty good too.”

“Never had it.” He gasps and looks up to me with surprise.

“What? That is the most scrumptious dessert there is! More than your pudding. I am going to have to have the councilors make it for you some time.  This is just outrageous! You are one bizarre girl. Good thing I like you.”

“I hope you like me, more like love me!” I mock his crazy ranting.

“Your right your right. I do love you.” He kisses my cheek and I slump down from the head board so I am face to face with him. His soft eyes show he is exhausted and makes me feel the same way.

Our eyes slowly drift to match a sleep. My dreams are very happy, about the world being better, no zombie things, our beautiful baby boy. We still live in the community but its open to the rest of the survivors. Cane and I had a proper wedding along with five other kids. Five older boys and a little girl. They all love her dearly and wouldn’t let anything happen to her. The world is better now, no cars, no pollution. We don’t use money we trade and we do some schooling when they are older and we train to hunt just in case another outbreak comes along.