Chapter 60

I look up to Cane who is swaying back and forth. Panic rises in me and I grab his wrist easing him to the floor. “Cane, go to sleep right now!” His eyes wander all around as his eyelids droop but he fights it and he fights it hard. He finally fines mine before tears spring into his eyes.

“I don’t want to. Belle I really don’t want to close my eyes.” The pain in his voice makes me panic for a moment.

“I am going to be right back okay? Don’t do anything.” Just as I get up he grabs my wrist but he isn’t strong at all so I wiggle through it. “Don’t worry I am coming back.”

“You don’t know that.” His words are scaring me making me run out of the room and all the way down the hall as fast as I can. I zoom past all the doors and race up the stairs reaching the dining room where everyone is up and eating. Everyone turns their attention to me and once they see how panicked I am they quickly dart over to me holding me close.

“What is wrong?” My mother sooths but I don’t have time for this. I push her away all too hard but I don’t have time for apologies either.

“Its Cane, dad I need some of that sleeping stuff. Cane hasn’t slept at all, please dad help him.” Before I wait for them I quickly run back down the stairs and as fast as I can down to where I left him. Even pregnant I am quick on my feet how I used to be. I quickly fall to my knees next to him scuffing my knees on the carpet but ignore the sting for right now. Soon everyone else is by our sides and Cane just is in and out of it. He cant even hold my hand back, he is saying some pretty loopy things and my heart begins to race, people can die from getting no sleep, I don’t know how long it is but this is pretty long. My mother feels his neck and looks into his eyes quickly.

“He is just exhausted, this isn’t a symptom.” Soon my father rushes in with the purple liquid and quickly jabs it into his thigh. Soon Cane gives off a small smile before he completely is out of it. My tears spring into my eyes seeing how exhausted he is and that he had to be drugged to be able to sleep. My mother pulls me into her arms and I begin to sob. My mother tries to sooth me but it doesn’t work.

“Come on lets get him into your room so he can have a comfortable sleep. We have something to show you that Cane doesn’t need to see.” My father moves me out of the way to easily pick up Cane placing him in our room but leaving the door open. “If he has any night terrors we will be able to hear if the door is open.” My heart begins to beat faster scaring me more. Why would he have night terrors?  My father catches my scared expression before he pulls me into a hug. “He will be okay don’t worry about anything baby girl. Lets go get you some food.” We all walk back up the stairs until I notice the people that are here. Kris, Tony, and two other guys that I don’t know who they are. I let go of my father and dart into Kris and Tony’s arms. They quickly hug me back before I begin to speak.

“I thought you two were gone?” They both chuckle releasing me and staring and my bump.

“No way, we were headed to your house once the giant explosion went off. We booked it into your house and locked the door when we saw these two guys already in there. Their friends of Cane’s. I look at them more closely and see that one of them was the one that I saw at the pool that Cane was talking to before he jumped in.

“Well I am just glad your safe.” My stomach flutters giving me a giant smile on my face before turning around heading upstairs with my dad to go eat whatever meal this is. My whole body now suddenly feels weak probably from lack of food. My father pulls out a seat for me in between Tommy and Meg. A giant plate full of food waits for me that I just dig right into. The pancakes are still warm and there are two hardboiled eggs already waiting to be eaten, already boiled for me. I turn to see Megan eating her food too and we are all in heaven with the deliciousness of this food. My eyes wander to see her belly and I can see the baby kicking on the outside. I slam my utensils down on the table making everyone turn their attention to me yet again. Megan stares at me as if I am mental, but ha-ha I am! My hands dart to her belly feeling the baby move like crazy kicking my hands with his butt or his feet.

“Yup of course you would love the attention.” Meg says monotone giving her belly a slight tap before continuing to eat while just feel her belly like crazy.

“Meg this is so cool!” I squeal for joy and soon everyone is surrounding her, my father pulls her chair out away from her food and she just flips me off grunting. She grabs her plate and begins eating her food over her belly. What I didn’t notice is she is wearing the dress I lent her and it looks so good on her. Tommy presses his hands on her belly and she scowls at him, both of us erupt in laughter. Someone is a bit moody today?

“Guys the more attention you give him the more he kicks and the harder he does it!”

“Well at least it’s a sign he is alive.” Everyone gasps at me in disbelief that I actually said that. My brain skans over what I said really quickly before I realize and mentally slap myself. “Sorry guys, rough day.” I slowly whisper taking my hands off her belly. The awkwardness is killing me. I don’t do awkward silence.  I quickly take my plate of food and dismiss myself into the room where I woke up. The large wooden doors slam behind me causing me to flinch staring back at it but to only see Tommy in the doorway. If he wasn’t my brother I would be extremely attracted to him, he is at the same level of hotness to Cane but I love Cane, what the hell am I thinking! I hate being pregnant right now I just want her out, I am done. “What do you want?” I start heading to his TV room because the screams are drawing me in like a siren to a sailor.

“To make sure your alright?"He comes near me and occupies me in the large room with panels of TV’s and different places of what is going on in the world or the first day it happened.

“What is this?” I slowly sit down to relieve my aching feet and to watch this crazy scene.

“This is what happened, the very first day. And this, is our hometown.” He panels through a list of cities and states until on every single screen pops up Reno and how everything all started. An old woman in a hospital dies from old age and it fast forwards to two hours later when the person at the morgue almost starts to investigate her. The old woman jerks her bleeding eyes open and grabs the middle aged man by the head and takes a large chunk out of his neck filling this large echoing room with the scream for help and agony. The woman takes another large chunk ending him. His screams and thrashing cease as the woman begins to feast on him. All from his stomach pulling out his organs one by one eating them all. The blood squirts everywhere.

The door to the morgue flys open revealing two doctors and a nurse and the woman slowly stands up limping all the way over to them. Their faces fill with horror as they all begin to scream and scrambling out of the room. The doors to the morgue chiller for the other dead bodies rattle and bang and the woman seems intrigued, her head cocks to the side before slowly making her way to them and she opens them all. She opens them! One by one the zombies pile out, young and old, woman and men. Children even. A young groan fills that room and she opens the still chiller and pulls out carefully a young baby. My hands race to my mouth stifling a scream. Just like the ones in my dream.  The other zombies start running, they run down the halls tackling patients and doctors eating every last one of them. The walls are staned with a dark color of blood with each person that shed.

Everyone was just so innocent but the zombie that is holding the baby intrigues me more. She bends down to pick up a loose piece of flesh and drops it in the childs mouth. “Tommy this cant possibly be real! How is she helping the baby! How could the baby even survive this?” Tommy looks like he doesn’t even give a crap. His legs are kicked up just watching this horrible horror scene. What is worse is these zombies still look like people.

“See that woman? She is the very first of this country! She helped all those other ones and is protecting the baby zombie that will never grow. She is like the queen bee. We kill those in all the other continents and we kill off the whole entire population of them! I have kept an eye on her for some time. This all seems like a dream that a baby could be a zombie but it did happen.” He messes with some buttons before a picture of that old lady looks like on of the hungers. Her skin is sticking to her bones and she is sitting in an old home in a thrown of bones. She looks so weak and the baby looks just like her making me want to vomit and scream all at the same time.

To regular zombies and hungers bring her people from our camp and animals. She feeds the baby before herself. One of the hungers is carrying a girl over his shoulder and slams her down just before her revealing Janice. The woman smiles slightly before dining in herself.