Chapter 62

He slowly heads down the stairs to hear a loud scream like torture echoing down this hall. Veil quickly puts me down just in time for another one to hit me. I use the wall for support and panting through it. I don’t know how I am going to be able to get through her birth. This sucks. Megan catches up and looks alarmed at the sound that is coming from my bedroom.

“Cane.” I whisper before I suck it up and start walking quickly all the way down and into our room to see Cane thrashing around in the bed with tears flowing down his face. My heart sinks utterly hearing him sound like this. Veil is sitting on top of him now and he is holding his thrashing body down. But it seems that is only making things worse.

“Go get Tommy right now! Go!” He barks over the screams of Cane and just as I turn around my parents along with Tommy come racing through the door trampling making me fall backwards. The sound of bone hitting metal causes everything to cease around me. I can no longer hear Canes painful screams or the barks of my parents but the scream of Megan. My eyes slowly flutter closed.

Veil POV

Cane is awful strong and loud trying to hold him down. Tears seep from his closed eyes proof he is having a horrible night terror but we cant wake him up. It could kill him, yet this could too. Belle busts through the door and I just wanna slap some since into her that she cannot walk. “Go get Tommy right now! Go!” Is all that can come out over Canes loud screams. It feels like I am running on a bull. She turns around and her parents and Tommy push past her over to my side trying to pin him down. Cane finally stops screaming when there is a pearcing scream, all of us dart our attention over there to see Belle laying face up on the ground when we hear the lingering wham of her skull crashing against the metal.

Megan stands in the doorway screaming right when we see Belles eyes slowly close. We all leave the steady Cane to go investigate what happened to her. My hand slips under her head to see what happened and if there are any injuries and sure enough, my hand is covered in her blood. Damn it! There is nothing here that I can do! She is just so prone to injury. Her baby cant possibly make it now. If so then she is going to have so many problems.

“Give me your shirt, Meg go get me a needle somewhere, something sharp I can apply stitches to, along with thread. Make it sterile. Hold her on her left side.” I begin giving orders and they all run around quickly doing as I asked. Tommy throws me his shirt and I shove it onto her limp head. She is just unconscious from the fall. She might even have a concussion?

We hold her on her left side letting the shirt absorb the blood and boy is there a bunch. The shirt is a dark red and it fills quickly weighing heavily and is hot under my hands. When the hell is this girl! “Go find her and now! I need the damn equipment or we are going to loose both of them.” Tommy scrambles out of the room followed by Jess. Belle’s dad hands me his shirt and I just but this one on top of the old one.“Is it ever going to stop?” Her mother just holds her on her side and I see her body is beginning to turn a sickly color that I know the baby wont survive. She is going to kill me.

“I am just working on getting it to stop so if you two will please look around for something to sterilize her head with?” My sticky hands quickly check for a pulse and find and awful weak one. Her neck has the imprints of my bloody fingers on her. “Hold this tightly, I have to check the baby.” Her mother quickly trades places with me while I jump over her and rip up her dress to reveal her bare belly. I flip her on her back so her head can use the rags as a stronger band aid. I begin pressing into her belly quite hard and I can feel the baby. I keep my hands there looking for any sign of life.

“Can you feel her? Is she okay?”

“Stop asking me questions I cant give answers to!” I scream at her pressing slightly harder until I fell the baby try to nudge my hands away from her. Feisty little baby. I quickly move my hands heading back over to her head trading places and switching her back to her side. Megan comes running back in holding up a needle, gauze, thread, and beer.

“I found these.” She quickly hands them to me and I rip off the soaking and heavy shirts to show she has stopped bleeding. I dip the needle and thread in the beer and start sewing her large gash shut. How the hell did this even happen? My hands are so sticky but I just continuing to do it. My whole body is sweating crazily dripping into my eyes making it hard to see but I just keep doing the task at hand. Trying to save two lives.

“Veil! I found alcohol.” Jess runs in quickly and without me sawing so she pours it on my hands and all over her head. My hands start trembling but I quickly stich her up and wrap the gauze around her head until its all gone. Her dad picks her up carefully and carries her to another room while I just stare at this gory scene. My hands are covered in her blood along with the floor. The room smells like iron and it invades my nose making me nauseous. But I can handle this, I was a doctor I could manage a little blood. But this looks like a massacre. If her baby manages just fine all the way through birth and is perfectly healthy I am going to slam myself and stop underestimating the strength a young baby has.

All this stuff I do for her and she doesn’t even notice me. Hardly pays me the time of day unless she needs something. If I was her man I would make sure she was safe all the time and none of these things would have happened. That’s why I just hope Cane never wakes up.