Chapter 31

“Here this was the best food they had.” She quickly hands it to me and I take the first thing, the Twinkies. I take the first bite and they taste like heaven. They are just so good and I feel myself getting better slightly. “You lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw you which was a few days ago.”

“Yeah I just get too distracted to even think to eat. Its like a chore.”

“Well get used to the chore, you need to eat way more.”

“I know I know but it tastes disgusting when I eat.”

“Does this taste disgusting?”

“No.” She smiles deviously and goes to her bed just watching me chow down on all these sweets. “Are you sure this is healthy for the baby for me to be eating all this?”

“It wouldn’t if you ate regularly but since you don’t then yes.”  It takes me about twenty minutes to finish all the food and by then I am bouncing off the walls. All that sugar is killing my mouth but whoopy I haven’t had this much sugar since Pete married my mother.

“You know what? Yeah I know what! Haha that food was so good, food, food, food!” I scream bouncing off my bed all over the place.

“Hey Belle? Do you want to go and see Cane? Come on girl.” All my friends are awake but yet I jump off the bed and run out of the room.

“Cane!” I scream running around laughing like a total maniac. I wave my arms above my head frantic. “Cane!” I scream again, this is fun I like doing this I should do this a lot more often yeah that sounds like a plan. I spot him coming out from the pool area and I just about tackle him to the ground. “Hi!” My voice comes out like a savaged dog.

“What is up with you?”

“Megan gave me lots of sugar, like a lot, I had Twinkies, donuts, candy, lollypops, sugar canes, dingdongs, I had a lot of stuff because it was sooo good. Do you want some stuff?” My eyes go wide, I love sharing my food so other people can taste what I am tasting.

“Are you sure that is safe?”

“Yeah she said so because I haven’t kept down a real meal or eaten much food since like four days ago. I know that is kind of bad but I don’t like eating and now I do! I love food and food loves me!” My words are now slurred a bit and all out in jumbles.

“You are going to be sick you know, in just a few minutes.”

“Yeah that is okay, that stuff is so much fun I can just get some more in just a while.”

“No I don’t think you need any more sweets you are acting drunk.”

“That’s how I always act when I eat sugar. I have never taken a drink in my life, I have been high but never drunk, its fun.”

“Yeah it is fun on this end too come on.” He takes my jittering hand and he tries to make me walk to his apartment but I end up running and skipping there.  I love sugar its so yummy I love it oh my God ahhh! We make it outside of the apartment and I jump up and down, I had so much food and it was so good I know the baby loved it too. I bang on the door until Cane comes to open up the door by himself. “Hey do you have any food I can have? I really want more food because I am hungry I haven’t really eaten for four day what about you?”

“No I eat every day and you don’t need one more piece of food.”

“But I want it.” I pout and jump onto his still moist back. He carries me all the way to his bed. Everyone in here is awake and I can tell because they are tightly covering their heads with their pillows.

“Nope you don’t get any now come on lets go get you in the shower.”

“I don’t think that is very safe for me, I could still be jittery and fall in the shower that isn’t safe. Oo I found your sugar!” I quickly scurry out of the bed and race into the kitchen pouring the sugar in my mouth. Its so gritty and hard but so tasty and yummy, my mouth waters to all the sugar made contact. Its kind of hard to eat. Cane comes over to me and forces me to spit it out.

“Come on lets go and get into the shower.” He drags me to the shower closing and locking the door behind us. I remember this bathroom, it’s a nice bathroom. He forces me to sit onto the toilet while he undresses me. “You are cute when you want sugar.”

“Can I have some please?” He stops undressing me to my bra.

“Come on stand up.” I fold my arms frustrated.  He slips off my disgusting pants.

“This is so unfair I really want some, I never get sugar.”

“And now I see why. Come on get into the shower.”

“I still have these clothes on here let me just take them off for ya.” I slowly slip them off, this is the calmest I was willing to be. My face brightens as I watch him stare at me in shock and blush repeatedly.

“Lets just get you in the shower.”  He shoves me into the shower and turns it on. “Adjust it to how you need.”

“Why don’t you come in here with me?” The water trickles down my body soothing me. The water is just what I need. My muscles release their tension and I personally thank them. It feels just remarkable. The sugar is now relaxing and I stare at the drain watching the blood flow down the drain, that’s my baby. The tears start to come into my eyes and down my face.

“Are you okay?” Cane peeks through the curtains looking to me he looks genuinely concerned. Our eyes meet each other’s and he gets all in with his swim trunks on. He embraces me in a hug and holds me tight. “What is wrong?”

“I cant even keep a baby in me. I am going to be a horrible mother. I cant control myself. I have so many problems and I cant care for my own body, the zombies out there are so vicious I just cant believe this is happening.”

“No, no you are going to be a perfect mother, it happens to a lot of women. I got a bunch of brochures and pamphlets. We don’t know anything about being pregnant during an apocalypse.”

“It doesn’t matter, I probably killed the first one because I don’t like eating.”

“Well I will help you like eating. So just finish your shower and we can go do some stuff. I have to show you something in a few hours and you are going to love it.” I start to get a bit excited, what is the surprise?