Chapter 13

"How would it? Is there any other pregnant teen here?" I scream confused myself. He thinks on that a moment. "I promise Cane it is yours, and to me this is a miracle since when I was fourteen my doctor told me I could never have children."

"Do you think this is a place to raise a baby? It isn't!" He drags my wrist and takes me into the blazing sun. We race to the gate on foot and I feel my vision bluring.

"Stop! I think I am going to pass out." His hand slips into his pocket and tosses me my medicine and I take it dry and it hurts going down but he continues dragging me and we walk up to the top of a watch tower and moans and growling fill my ears. I look over the top and down bellow to see decayed slowly limping people. Grey and slightly blue with blood all over there faces and hands. Their hair is falling out, their veins are black and showing bright through their skin. They have bite marks all over them. Some have legs missing or arms from things eating them. "What, what are those things?"

"Like in video games and horror movies. Our worst night mares, zombies."

"No way. These are not real! Stop messing with us!"

"I am not damn it. These are real zombies and everyone on the outside world has transformed into these. We have put down as many as we could but they just keep coming. This is why I didn't want a child. If it accidently got out it could die. Be eaten to death. We cant do abortions here, so now we are going to have one more mouth to feed, we don't have diapers or anything. What if something went wrong in your labor? We don't know how to do a c-section we don't have electronics to even look it up. I am such an idiot. I have to inform the others." He races down like one of those things are chasing him. I follow after him.

"Do you think I want this? Why would I? I am seventeen! I cant have a baby, my doctor said so, this is mad!"

"Then why weren't you on the pill, there is such thing as miricals. But this, this is far from a miracle. It's a curse. It's a joke from God, if there even is one." His words sting in my ears, my eyes burn.

"How could you? I wasn't thinking anything near that extent!" I slowly back away and I see that he realized the words he has said. He tries to reach for me but I flinch away. "You know what? In these circumstances maybe I do want a baby? This would be good for me and if you don't want it then we are though!" The tears flow down my face as I run as fast as I can to try and get anywhere but here.

"Belle! Belle just wait!" His voice trails behind mine until he grabs my good arm stopping me. "I didn't mean any of those things I am sorry."

"No you are not sorry! You don't want a baby because it will just be one more mouth to feed but did you think that once more couples start showing up then there might be more babies? There will be new hope! I want this baby and you cant stop me from wanting it." I try pulling away but his grasp only gets tighter.

"We will think of something but what if something happens to you or the baby? We don't know what it could do? Turn into one of those things and eat you on the inside out! Or you turned during labor and we wouldn't know how to get it out safely or know if its still even alive? We don't have any special medications and yours is so high risked for a miscarriage and you said it yourself that it was impossible for you to get pregnant. What if this was our only chance?"

"Then why did you want to get rid of it?"

"I am just confused and scared."

"What about me? I am the one carrying it, I am allergic to the pain medication so I have to give birth naturally. You can't get an epidural because I am sure as hell you don't know how to administer to it. Then the possibilities of me or the baby turning before the other? I so scared and yet I am so happy this might be my only chance." The tears flow so quickly down my face and he pulls me in and I sob into his chest. He strokes my hair and now I feel my hair getting moist. I stare up at him and see he is crying as well. "Why are you crying?" My hand wipes away his fallen tears.

"Because, I don't want to lose my first and only love." His hand goes into his pocket and he pulls out a beautiful ring that has a small piece of metal wrapping around it like a vine on a tree then it surrounds the beautiful diamond like an egg in a nest.

"Where did you all get this money?"

"The governments all around the world noticed the changes and gave us the money in hope of a fresh start. They helped us build this place and stock up on these things. I managed to get ahold of this in hope to soon find a wife." He gets down on one knee properly and people around us gasp and squeal as I wait for him to say the words. I try to focus on his face but the tears block my vision. "Belle...."

"Evangilique Prosque." My name is Italian or French but I cant remember. He looks at me shocked and tries pronouncing it.

"Belle, would you have me as your husband for the rest of our lives in this safe haven with our possibly only child? Because I love you and I will always love you deep inside my heart even if I turn I will always know I love you because I will be wearing this." He pulls out his own ring that is in scripted boldly Ever After.

"Yes." A whisper comes out and I place my right hand on my belly and he takes my ring and places it on my finger and I take his and put it on his. He puts one hand on my stomach and he kisses me sealing our gap between us. People around us scream and laugh with joy. I really do hope that we are safe and that a new generation will exist. But why did I just forgive him so easily after he wanted our baby dead. I break away our kiss staring into his confused eyes. "But do you really want this baby gone?"

"No, I promise I was just scared for your life along with the baby's." He looks around then back to me. "In a way we are married and have been since that night. Natures way, I just needed a ring to prove we were."

"Okay, I love you Cane."