Chapter 39

I turn on the music player and listen to all the songs and finish the magazine front to back. He didn’t get any good books, all romance crap. He didn’t get any good food, no sugar or anything and I really want some. But I guess cheese its and peanut butter are going to have to hold me over for a while.

I am so desperate, I need to read something. I grab the book the ‘Fault in Our Stars’ and start reading it. I hear it was going to come out into the moves but well the end of the world came. I move all around while I read it. I just have to be moving. Its so addicting, Hazel and Gus are just so perfect for each other. And the cigarette metaphor is just perfect. Who ever came up with stuff like this? Its so awesome and genius. I wish I could meet the author, but maybe in another life.

Then a turning twist, oh God Gus don’t die! No he wasn’t supposed to die, its usually the girl who dies. Hot burning tears flow down my face like crazy. But I cant stop reading, I have to find out what else happens next. I hear something drop on the floor and look up to see  Cane standing in the doorway with a douffle bag on the ground next to him. He looks shocked and confused. He darts to my side wiping the tears away frantically. “Hey what’s wrong?”

“Gus died! He wasn’t supposed to die! Now she is going to be so lonely, she isn’t going to find another person for her. Oh I hate books.” I throw the book up against the wall and hug him tighter, I can feel her emotions of sorrow and depression, she just lost the love of her life.I relate to myself like what would happen if I lost Cane, I would just die. And come back as one of those things.

“Its just a book don’t worry its okay. Nothing is real don’t stress over something that didn’t happen.”

“I am sure it did happen. Hey how long were you gone? What time is it?” I wipe the tears and look around our messy bed. There are no lights outside so it must be very late, there are cheese it crumbs on the bed which is gross. I look up to his face looking for the answer and he just laughs at me.

“If only I had a camera!” He laugs hysterically while I just grumpily clean off the bed for him.

“Why?” My fingers firmly grab the sheets and I stand up quickly whipping the sheets around getting all the crumbs off.  They all fly around the room and I hear them clackle against the wall. Some of them smack on my face and in my eye.

“Your mood swings are so cute. But also for the sheet thing. I guess that is one way to clean them off. Now we are going to have ants.”

“Bug spray.” I mimic our earlier conversation. My legs get tired standing on something that isn’t firm or supportive so I sit back down getting ready to go to sleep.

“Its one in the morning, we had to check on our crops. You must have read that book fast?” He strips down to his boxers and climbs into bed with me. He is so warm. He scoots close to me nuzzling his face neatly in the crook of my neck.

“Are the crops okay?” I play with his perfect hair twirling it in my long fingers. Its so smooth and he has so much of it.

“Yeah, they are perfect. They should last us all until the next harvest.”

“You guys planned this place perfectly.” I turn to face him using my finger to trace his handsome features.

“Our boss did.”

“Who is this boss you all speak of so highly? How come none of us have met him?” It makes me mad that we have never met him, he is mysterious and I feel unsafe that I don’t know him.

“I have never met him either, I have only heard his voice, he really likes you and he gave the okay to make this house and to excuse you from the activities. He asks about you all the time. I don’t even know his name so that is why we all call him the boss. He isn’t a creep though if that is what you think!” He darts right into his words trying to reassure me he isn’t a creep but he sure acts like one.

“Do I know him? Like used to?”

“Nah I don’t think so, we have cameras all over this place inside and out. He has all the details on all of us so he knows every single one of us.”

“Yeah why are we letting a weirdo run the place?”

“Well he must have been super weird if he created this place for us. A protection.”

“Yup!” I turn around and try to rest, I didn’t notice I was this tired until now. Maybe from all the food and all the tears. Let my pregnancy really begin.

“Belle sweet heart, stop holding on just let go.” Chemicals of a hospital room invade my nose, as well as the hint of urine and poop. I hear a heart monitor in the background giving a steady beat.

“Mom! Stop telling her to give up if she is doing so well? Just get out of here! She doesn’t need your negativity. The doctors show that she is dreaming, she is still alive!” Tommy shrieks making me feel frightened. But I cant see which is even worse.

“She is on life support! How on earth is she still alive?”

“Get out mother, or should I even give you that title?” He sneers placing his large hand in mine. I try to squeeze it but I cant, I cant move at all frustrating me even more. The suction of the door to a sterile room opens and closes. Keep fighting, I know you can.”

“Wakey, wakey! Lets go get some breakfast, come on.” I feel a warm hand on my shoulder giving me a slight shake to let me know its morning and that I need to wake up.

“Ugh, I don’t wanna move.” My bed is so warm and comfortable I dramatically thrash around in bed throwing a small tantrum then wrapping up in a giant ball in the blankets. Ah so warm. My whole body purrs in the warmth this blanket provides me.