Chapter 19

“Sorta, but our boss thought it should just save as many boys and girls of young ages so they can have a good protected life. Not to be attacked by those things.” We make it to the cement hut and I go lay on the table.

“So whats up with your cast?” The doc asks.

“I um…fell in the pool so could I change it?”

“Sure no problem. Same color?”

“Yes please?” I smile and he continues fumbling with his equipment and supplies.

“So your sister Megan is pregnant correct?” He tries making conversation and I start panicking.

“Yeah.” I just about whisper looking at Cane worried and the doctor pulls out a blade and starts cutting off my cast.

“It’s a bit early for her to be having false labor isn’t it? What is causing her to stress so much?” Is he interrogating me?

“Um…just rumors and stuff. She’s six months something about a back pregnancy? I don’t know.” My hand starts shaking in Canes and the doctor finishes and carefully slides it off. My arm smells foul and its pale and skinny. Ech!

“Ah interesting, so I have also heard from other councilors, Cane, that you proposed because she is pregnant as well?” He takes out my stitches and starts wrapping my arm up again. I feel Cane start shaking as well, why?

“Yeah and I do love her.” The doctor takes out his ultrasound machine before finishing my cast and puts it on my belly. It’s a hand held and I don’t know why he is using it.

“Your baby is developing nicely but its fairly small, you need to eat more and try to get off your medication. That’s just if its possible. You are carrying a front pregnancy which is ironic since your sister is a back and you are a front. Anyways so you will be able to show much easier and feel it sooner possibly not always. In six weeks you can come back and we will be able to see what you two are having, congratulations.” He gives a fake smile that I can see right through and continues patching up my arm. I have never heard of a front pregnancy, he is lying. I thank the doctor not genuinely though and walk out annoyed not waiting for Cane to catch up.

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

“He set off a red flag for me, I don’t want to see him ever again and I most certainly don’t want Meg near him either.”

“What set off the red flag?”

“His fake smile, when he kept talking about me and my sister, when he did the ultrasound immediately. Three red flags. I don’t want to see him okay? Not near me, you, or our baby got it?” I bark, I cant remember the last time I was this demanding.

“Yeah, I got it.” He looks a bit scared, like I am a lion going to rip his face to shreds, but luckily he is hot cause I could never to that to him. We stop right before the door when we hear a males voice in my cabin. I quickly rush to the window and see Caine in there sitting on the bed placing his hand on Meg’s belly. She has her hands on his and she is crying.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” He whispers to her and she looks shocked, probably hadn’t realized he would want to know.

“You just didn’t strike me as the person to want a baby.”

“Because of how I look you would think I wouldn’t want a baby?” Caines eyes wander my way slowly and I quickly duck down where Cane is waiting for me.

“What is happening?”

“Caine wants his baby.” I quickly check if he is still looking and he isn’t. I sigh in relief and continue spying.

“Well yeah, and how you treat children scares me to watch.”

“I don’t have an excuse for that, but I know that since this one will be mine I will treat it with the most respect, she will be my princess.”

“How do you know if its going to be a girl? For all we know it’s a boy.” A smile erupts on my face, since when do dads want their first a girl?

“Fathers instinct.” He kisses her lips and draws a pattern on her bloated stomach. “I know a guy that could show us what its going to be. Do you want to do that?” She smiles brightly and nods frantically.

“I would very much like that.”

“Okay then come on.” He helps her up and picks her up bridal stile and heads out the door and I charge for them.

“Wait! Which doctor are you going to?”

“Were you spying on us?” Caine reveals is black eye and I want to laugh.

“Um…that’s besides the point.”

“Doctor Kale why?”

“The creepy old one?” I ask as goosebumps rise on my skin.

“Yeah.”

“Please go to a different one, he really is creepy, he kept asking questions about you Meg and your baby. Then he asked about mine, please just go to a different one.” I beg and they just keep walking. I scream out in frustration, I hate not winning fights.

“Don’t freak out okay Belle? You are still in the stage where its common for miscarriages. They will find out sooner or later he is bad news, now lets go back to my place.” He grabs my hand suductivly and he picks me up bridal stile as well and I kiss his neck while he walks and goose bumps rise on his perfect skin.

“So where are we that its so hot all the time?”

“Phoenix, we had your parents give you some safe sleeping meds and fly you all here and put you in a replica of your car. So it didn’t freak you out or nothing.”

“Well it surly is hot here.”

“Its above 100 degrees for  107 days of the year.”

“And why this place?”

“Because us teenagers like getting tan, swimming and stuff like that.”

“Ah okay. Just pray the air conditioning doesn’t go out anytime soon.” We both chuckle and sigh hating the thought.

“We have generators all below us that could fit one thousand people inside, they can last twenty years each. We have enough to last us four hundred years. Enough time to repopulate and get smart people and strong to go kill off all those things and start a new safe world of vaccinations.”

“Shouldn’t that have taken a few hundred years to make?”

“Not really, we got them from China. They knew this day was coming from the Mians. They started creating them then, once they knew there was no hope for saving themselves the gave them to us.”