Chapter 18

There is a sobbing in the bathroom and I race in there to see Megan on the floor sobbing. I dart to her side and I hear Cane talking into his walkie-talkie. “Megan what is it?”

“I am having a pain, its just from stress but it wont stop.” Her face cringes and she grabs her stomach breathing shakily.

“Do you think its coming?”

“I don’t know but it hurts too much.”

“Just try and relax okay? Just breathe with me.” I grab her hand and kneel down with her both of us breathing deeply. She stares into my eyes pained and panicked.

“Its way too early for her to come. Its way too early.” Her breathing is quicker than mine now and she gaits another pained expression and screams out.

“Don’t think like that Meg, just breathe with me.” She nods and continues to breathe like me.

“Meds are on their way.” We both nod and he looks panicked as well. We continue breathing and her eyes don’t linger for a moment from mine.

“You are going to be okay, don’t panic.” She nods again and her hand squeezes mine and her face cringes. “They aren’t getting closer nor are they getting longer. I think you are going to be just fine.” More people rush in and they examine her outer body.

“What is the problem? We cant find anything?”

“She is six months pregnant and having frequent pain.” Thee guys give each other uncomfortable glances.

“Are you going to help my sister or not?” The bark gets through to them and they spring into action.

“We do know what we are doing but we never had to practice it.” They slide off her pants and she starts flipping out.

“What are you doing?” Her eyes dart to the man down there and he gives an awkward smile.

“We are just going to check you to see if you are in fact in labor. But thank God you are not. You are very stressed over exerting yourself. You are having false labor. You are now on bed rest. You will continue having this pain even when you do relax on your bed but stop stressing it is very unhealthy and could start real labor. Do some yoga to bring the baby forward.  If you ever do want to have a bump and a safe birth.” He lifts her up and places her gently on her bed where she cowers in a small ball squeaking like a mouse exactly every four minutes, to the second. Cane holds me in my arms on my bed as we just watch her until she falls to sleep. You can see her sweat rolling off her body.

“I am scared.” The whisper escapes me as I hold his neck from over my head.

“Why are you? There isn’t a reason in the world. We are all completely safe.”

“For her to give birth, alone. She might not be able to do it she is kinda susceptible to pain. If she gets a paper cut she cries because it stings too much. She can hardly drink anything with fizz because it burns. Seeing her like this was like me breaking my arm.”

“Breaking your arm was pretty bad, your elbow bent backwards. That’s pretty abhorrent and probably pretty agonizing I believe.”

“Wow big words?”

“I am not that thick.”

“Oh I wasn’t saying anything like that British boy.” I mock twirling his long hair. “Where are you from anyways? I’m from Reno.”

“I was born in Utah and raised in England.”

“Well isn’t that a coincidence? But aren’t you supposed to have that sexy accent?”

“No because I was raised around all my relatives that don’t have an accent although I wish I did.” Suddenly the urge to vomit fills my stomach. I quicky lurch out of his relaxed grasp and race to the toilet and heave out the small bit of food I had about a day ago. I really do need to eat something. Cane comes in and he pulls my hair back while I mostly dry heave over the toilet. “I thought morning sickness was only in the mornings?”

“Whoever came up with that concept wasn’t pregnant.”

“You said it.”

“Said what?”

“That you were pregnant.”

“I thought I did a while ago, why does it matter?” I turn to face him and he is smiling.

“Because now you believe you really are. You are really carrying our child. We are a family.”

“I said that so many times already, but it still hasn’t occurred to me that I really am carrying some sort of life inside of me. It wont be real until its out of me and I can hold it, until then it’s a tumor that is just growing that likes to move. I don’t know but for now I don’t know if it really is real.” I slowly get up and wash my mouth out. “Now I am going to get some food then we need to go change my saggy cast.” We slowly walk out of the cabin and to the café to quickly grab some food before they start packing it up. People are walking out and councilors are headed to their dorm things which look very nice.

We head in through the crowd of the opposite direction and quickly get to the cooking councilors. “Can we have some food real quick? We had an emergency situation we had to take care of before we could come.” Cane smacks my butt unnoticeable by them but my eyes just about shoot out of my head and I give Cane the death stare. My body didn’t jolt when he did that I was just shocked and it kind of hurt. The cooks eye me weird and dish us up some Mac and Chees and some popcorn chicken. We fill up our drinks and sit down next to each other while we watch them clean up.

“What was that booty smack for?”

“Fun, and your reaction was priceless.” He chuckles taking another bite of his Mac and Cheese. I eat all my food and I still feel hungry but I do not want to eat for two and gain weight, no way.

“Haha funny.” I fake laugh and just watch him eat. It just feels like a dream that he fell for me that quickly, the day we saw each other we kissed then like twenty minutes later we had sex. Our first time I get pregnant. I am seventeen, first and last boyfriend and pregnant. Now I am married.

“Arent you still  hungry?” He snaps me out of my thoughts and I jump for a second then relax. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, yeah just thinking. No I’m not hungry.”

“Okay well if you are I know where a snack bar is I could get you into.”

“Alright I will tell you if I ever need it.” I take my plate to the wash bin and rinse my things and take it to the wash counter where a councilor takes my things and washes them along with fifty thousand others. Cane catches up to me and holds my hand. “So what is the point of this camp any ways?”

“Just to save the boys and girls of the same ages so maybe one day we can start the world over again. I guess you and your sister want to get a head start on it?”

“So like a repopulation camp?”