Chapter 49

“Come on lets get our food.” My fingers carefully grab his shirt to haul him up and drag him into the line to get our food. “So are we set and clear on Caitlyn? It’s a done deal yeah?” We slide along the line with salads and chicken breasts today. This is a first, salad.

“Yeah its so beautiful, my grandmothers name was Caitlyn and she was the strongest woman I have ever met. Raised twelve kids only three being her own. She was abused countlessly by her husband and yet had a smile on her face every single day, not one day passed bye or one moment that she was not smiling and positive. She told me her name meant pure and independent. Your are pretty independent and I know she will be just like you and will love to sing. Just tying in some old times back in so we don’t forget those who were lost and that Caitlyn will be the light here one day. A leader.” We make our way back to our seats and I feel the love for his grandmother, that is extraordinary that even through all of that she had to put up with she still kept her head high.

“Wow that’s wonderful, I am sure your grandmother would be honored to have her great-grandchild have her name to show the great example she was. We are so blessed.” I take a sip of the water and it taste kind of funny but I don’t think of anything of it and continue talking with Cane and eating the really good and fresh salad. “So did you guys grow this salad by itself? Its so good! Did you use any chemicals?”

“Nah baby we are all natural.” He takes a bite of his own salad before I start feeling sick, along with dizzy. Maybe its just a symptom also of being outside for so long today, so I drink another big gulp before I really feel sick. My stomach almost cramps before I dart up from my spot rushing into the bathroom with Cane close on my heals. I find the nearest stall and vomit like crazy into the toilet. I know I haven’t had any lunch but this was probably all the meals for the last two weeks? Cane pulls my hair back quickly blowing cool air onto my neck cooling my screaming sun burn down. “Hey everything is going to be alright. Lets just get some to-go and we can rest in the cabin all day today and tomorrow.”

“The water…Cane go test the water. Something was in it.” I gauge staring into his eyes pleading before I vomit again using all my energy into it. It smells odd, not like regular vomit smell, more of a chemically smell. Someone was trying to poison me! Cane rushes back in and to my side.

“I take these tablets all the time, it was taped under your cup, it helps your upset stomach so it does make you throw up. I just take them cause they give me extra vitamins I lack. They are cheep, we give them at our store.”

“How much do you have to take before its poisoning?”

“Like fifty but then you would know because the water would turn green and all gritty. Like two or three you can smell it in your vomit and its fast acting. Along with long lasting. Two our three lasts you like two full days of vomiting and bad diarrhea.

“Is it okay for the baby?”

“Yeah, she will be okay.” He sounds so chill and laid back like nothing is wrong, but I am too tired for all these pranks and games. Its too much for me.

“Cane, I am tired of this. I drank a lot of that water. The house got T.P. I just cant handle any more. Lets go to the doctor to get some stuff for my hands and lets go home.” My stomach has settled down enough to be able to leave the toilet long enough for me not to vomit. Cane helps me hobble out through the café where all their burning stares are directed towards us. Cane flips the girls off only causing them to chuckle and we make our way to the cart in the burning heat. It feels like I have the flu and I hate it. My body is already aching from vomiting so much already that it hurts me to even move. Cane slides in next to me causing the seat to cave in a bit where he is.

“Are you okay? Do you get car sick?”

“Not always just drive before I do vomit again.” I clutch my stomach bending over slightly trying to calm my fighting stomach. He starts driving slowly heading to the huts and every jerk of the cart under the rocks make me just incredibly more nauseous. “Can you stop for a moment for me?” He slowly stops the cart for me to lean over the cart and throw up a lot. I didn’t even eat much food? How is this even happening?Cane pulls my long dirty hair out of the way while I just vomit all my life’s worth of food.

“Everything is going to be alright.” He whispers sympathetic soothing me slightly enough to ease my stomach from their argument. I slouch in my spot up against Cane and he continues riding a bit more crazy. My stomach is able to handle it a bit more while we get out of the cart together. He holds me up because I am too weak now, today is a bit crazy. We hobble to hut number fifty, I never saw these numbers, I guess they are new? We head inside and the doctor looks bored out of his mind until he sees us.

“What happened?” Canes arms slip under my body hauling me up to the chair with ease and it doesn’t even look like I am a challenge. The doctor slips a needle into my arm that looks like some sort of fluids. My body already feels like its already being refreshed.

“Today has been a rough day for her. This is itching powder and sun exposure, she is dehydrated and then this was poured into her water, maybe two or three?” Cane strokes my arms but only makes my arms itch more.

“Well I don’t have any clue what to do about the itching powder but they will go away soon, ill just wrap your arms in an anti-itch cream. Your sunburns just have to heal on their own, I already see blisters starting so maybe stay inside a bit longer. I got you hooked up on some fluids so you wont be dehydrated anymore. Now what are these?” The doctor is straight and to the point. I like him, hut fifty is my new favorite place. He takes the packet from Cane and examines it thoroughly. It looks like he is constipated, dang the faces we make when we are concentrating is scary.