Chapter 26

I quickly slump in my seat staring out of the window at all the passing zombies. They are all decayed and grey, pale, or black. I almost feel sorry for them, they just walk around in circles or in a straight line trying to get to us. My stomach starts cramping snatching me out of my thoughts. “Ow.” I gasp placing my hand on my lower abdomen.

“What is it? Whats wrong? Were you bit?” Drake holds onto his gun tightly getting ready to shoot if needed.

“I really think I am miscarrying.” No this really cant be, I do not want this to be happening I really want this baby.

“We are fifty miles away from Reno okay? We are going to stop here, camp for the night in a house, we will be safe for one night come on and we will check you out.” 

“Guys this really hurts.” It feels like really bad period cramps. I feel more blood in my pants. This really cant be happening. They take the exit and make our way into a secluded home that is kind of small. There are some zombies walking around but it seems pretty nice. They all quickly get out and start attacking the zombies and get the things out of the car. I slowly get out with the help of Veil and they lock up taking the ultrasound machine with them. The sun is setting and I am getting so very hungry.

“Does it still hurt?” Veil asks me holding me back on the porch as they skope the place. I hear a few gun shots before they clear the place. My heart is pounding too much to want to respond. So I just merely nod not wanting to speak up to reality. They all shuffle around bolting up the windows and doors and finding food. Their electricity hardly works but enough. He carefully guides me onto the couch that is surprisingly comfortable. I close my eyes while they all shuffle around again working with things to set up the machine. “Everything will be okay. Do not worry.” He places the gel on my stomach sending shivers up my spine and he places the little Doppler on my stomach. This cannot be happening at all. What if it eats me?

“Are you alright?” James grabs my wrist causing me to open my eyes to stare at the screen.

“What is it? What is wrong?” No, no this cant be happening at all, my poor baby.

“You have miscarried, but on the other hand, you had twins, one still survived but its not doing so well. I cant believe I didn’t see this sooner.”

“See what sooner? That I was going to have twins?”

“Yes precisely, this guy was covering the other baby.”

“So I did miscarry the other one?”

“Yes.”

“Then why is it so amusing?” I lost my poor baby, I don’t even know what caused it.

“Never mind.” He turns on the heart beat and its very low and faint but its still there. “We are going to get you a nice cup of herbal tea and you are going to eat some food and relax.” Tears form in my eyes, that sound is just so beautiful. He zooms in on the baby’s face and its so cute and tiny, it still looks like an alien. Carl comes in with a plate of food and a cup of tea and gives it to me. This place smells like dust already, I can hear the rats rustling upstairs. Its thrashed and the pictures are all gone. Pale spots are on the wall where they used to be. He turns off the machine and I gratefully take the food. It smells so good it almost drowns out the smell of the dust and mold.

“Thanks.” My stomach still really hurts but there is nothing to do about it I guess. But at least I still have one of the babies. My heart is still broken that I lost one of them. “Are one of the babies going to eat me? Or eat the other one?”

“No, no we don’t know about that but the baby is protected okay don’t worry about anything or this other baby will die.”

“Okay, okay you are right I do need to relax, I just usually have to take some anti depressants and stuff like that so I don’t have a mental breakdown.”

“What kind of things were you taking?”

“Really strong and heavy stuff.”

“That is what caused it, I will monitor you and the baby throughout the night so do not worry.”

“Okay, I trust you will help me and the baby so yeah okay.” I finish eating the hotdogs and mac and cheese. I sip the tea and want to vomit. The taste is vile and bland, its aslo gritty forcing me to spit it out. “This is disgusting.”

“You have to drink it all.” I stare at him in disgust hoping he is just joking. He motions for me to drink it so I hesitantly do. This stuff is so gross. I plug my nose and gauge it down the best I can until there is nothing left to drink. My stomach starts turning and twisting forcing it to try and come up. I slowly sit up and grab my mouth blocking the vomit to come up as. “Are you okay?” Veil slowly starts to draw circles on my back to help calm my tormented nerves. My body starts lurching like I am already vomiting but nothing comes out.

“Its okay its okay isn’t your cramps feeling better?” Now that he mentions it yes they are. But I am still nauseous! 

“But why am I still sick?”

“Its part of morning sickness.”

“Ugh I don’t like this at all.”He continues rubbing my back when I know its about to come up. I quickly rush around trying to find a bathroom and find only a trash filled with burnt cigarettes, tissue, and bullet boxes. I vomit in the trash covering all the contents inside of it. My stomach continues to turn vomiting up my dinner and the tea. I hear some slumping coming up the stairs. I turn around for a moment to see who it is and scream when a zombie comes as fast as it can up the stairs. I scurry into the nearest bedroom and slam the door before it reaches it.