Chapter 48

There is an upside down cardboard box at the door so I flip it over to see twenty packets of itching powder open and four egg cartons with a note saying;

Thanks for Playing!

Its not a game at all. My trembling and swollen hands pick up the paper and just start sobbing again. I hear golf carts pulling up, more than one and they are all laughing. I know they probably don't see this stuff yet but its very offensive. My eyes skim over all the things that's under the box over and over again. This may be the sickest joke to be played. The carts screech to a stop and I hear heavy footsteps quickly run from a cart and jump over the fence and up the porch to me. I know its Cane and he pulls me into a giant hug and he holds me there while I sob into him. This only makes my sun burn scream but Cane is here to help me.

"What happened?" He gasps and the gate opens as more people come inside.

"People happened." He pulls me up and places me on the porch swing continuing to hold me tightly. "The girls played a sick joke on me by having one of my best friends from school come over to kiss me. She did and I screamed at her and when I went to talk to Megan they were all apart of it. I screamed at Megan a lot and I was really mean and when I came home the house was covered in toilet paper and egged. All the toilet paper had itching powder in it." I pull away from him to show him my arms and he looks so hurt. He stares at my arms and gasps. "I have been outside cleaning it all up for five hours, no food, one bottle of water like twenty minutes ago, and no breaks. My shoulders burn and so does my face. I am scared to go inside and see if they got in."

"Belle. I am so sorry this happened." He just whispers still staring at my swollen arms. He looks up to me so pained and upset so he stands up and helps me up. "We need to get you food and water. Guys I will be back later." They all look a bit upset too but they just wave him away and haul all the shopping bags inside. Why shopping bags? Now that I have a break I itch and itch my arms and hands. "Try not to scratch babe." We get into the cart and he carefully yet quickly drives down to the café for dinner.

"The people that did this should be itching somewhat too."Its kind of a Cop investigation kind of thing. Cane just wraps his sticky arms around me holding me close but careful of my sun burn. My body leans against him and I feel my tears coming. He is the one thing that makes me feel safe, his presence makes me feel secure and that I can do and say anything, mostly rational, and he be okay with it. Somewhat.

“Are you sure you are alright? Nothing wrong at all? You still feel symptoms and stuff? You didn’t miscarry?” I sniff holding him closer and I feel better, I feel nauseous and exhausted from the heat but other than that I am okay.

“Yeah, I am okay, I am just glad you are back I don’t know what I would do if you never came back. I am not good with other people, I cant stand them and with this torment like this its like torture. Cane I do want you to know how thankful I am for you and everything you do for me. You make me feel so safe and protected that nothing will ever happen to me. I cant imagine if I was in your place, I would be just terrified to be in that place.” The coolness of my tear makes my cheeks feel much better, like they are sizzling. He strokes my hair back while I give a little scratch here and there to my palms or arms.

“For me I have a duty, to protect the ones I love and that’s what makes me feel safe, when I am protecting you because if I protect you I protect our unborn baby. That is the world to me. If anything happened to you two I wouldn’t be able to live with myself because it would be all my fault. I wasn’t protecting you two enough and giving it my all. So knowing your safe makes me feel in line and doing my duty as all proper men should. Making their spouses feel safe like nothing can harm them. And I failed, I have failed for the past six weeks. Seeing you on the porch after Veil quickly and panicked me into the cart and ushered me to you. When I saw you I broke, on the porch and all the toilet paper all over the yard still and our flower boxes I knew someone did this to you right off. I races to your side and with the note I knew you were breaking and shattering without my safety I could provide for you. I am truly sorry I did that to you.” His voice cracks and I feel his body almost hiccup with sobs coming this way. I quickly look up to him to see him broken too. He pulls up to the café and I jump on his lap holding him close. For all of our protection and love. He holds me back tightly sobbing into the crook of my neck.

“I am all better now, I am so much better now that you are here. I give all my love to you and I trust you with all my heart knowing that everything was for the best and you were just trying to help me out there by getting clothes or whatever. I honestly am all fine now. Just please don’t leave me again. Even if I have to talk to Mr. Tough Guy I will so you can be with me again.” I cup his stubble face and want to gauge but ignore it for our moment. I stare into his shiny eyes and kiss his lips still on his lap holding me close to me feeling the small zaps in between our bodies. “Caitlyn missed her daddy so much she just cant wait to meet you.” I break away and he places her firm hand on me smiling tears still spilling down his face.

“I am sitting by you, no one is ever going to hurt you in any shape or form. Now lets get you some food so nothing bad does happen to her. Or you.” He helps me out of the cart and helps me steady myself feeling the world get dizzy for a moment. I need to start taking my meds again. All of them. We both walk in hand and hand into the café and find a nice table to sit at alone. Cane get me lots of water, loads of it I might need to use the restroom soon. Cane wraps his arms around me with one leg on either side of the bench and holds me in between doing the same so I can lean into his muscular chest. He cups my belly and we both laugh from our awkward flirts. We just wait to be called to get our food and ignore the earlier moments that happened today.  “Your belly is so tiny and she looked so big on the screen maybe you should do some yoga so I can see your sexy ass go in the air.” His voice becomes high pitched into a little baby voice sounding like Olaf from Frozen when he says ‘It’s like a little baby unicorn.’  Then once he becomes all flirty he stops nuzzling his face in my neck tickling me by gnawing me to death causing me to squeal and everyone to stare at us disgusted. Our table is called so I shove him off still laughing feeling his ghostly tickles up my spine.